Historic Vehicle classification HELP please

Hi Guys

My 6 is a P reg first registered 1 August 1975.

I contacted Heritage 2 years ago to identify when the vehicle was built, they advised that build records for my vehicle were missing, however from chassis number records from either side they could narrow down the build to 2-4 August 1974, and consequently the vehicle should qualify for Historic Taxation class.

I applied last week for a certifcate from heritage and after paying was told that it was not possible to provide a certificate due to no build records having been retained. I can comprehend that position, but am surprissed that a qualified certifcate can not be issued.

Doeas anyone have any usefull help or advice as to how I may promote the position relating to my 6 to DVLC in order to attain historic vehicle status ?

cheers

Kevin

DVLA may accept a letter from Heritage stating what they have told you,it may be better if you could do this via the TRR, I think it may depend on who gets to see it at Swansea,only a thought but worth a try unless someone here has chapter and verse on what is required.

I did my "6" on Saturday at a PO with no trouble at all but it was registered in August '74 and built in Feb '74,only needed the V5.

Edited by Cew

Kevin,

I would have thought the starting point would be the letter

from 2 years ago, stating a build date of between 2nd and

4th August, but that the record for your actual car ws not

available.

See what DVLA make of that, and take it from there.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi have you connected the TR6 register they may help on build date Etc good luck my V5 said 1999 build date don't think so just keep on to DVLA best phone sometimes you get a person who knows what they are talking about take me 5 calls.

Dear Kevin,

I assume that your car was a UK car for the Home Market?

The first issue is do you have a current V5C? Next issue is your car Road Taxed or SORN? If the answers to these questions is yes! Your next move is to obtain a V10 from the Post Office to change the status of your car to Historic. Having filled that document in, you also need to fill in the change section on the V5C to Historic Vehicle, sign and date your current V5C. Hand in both documents in at the Post office they will issue you with a New Tax Disc. They will keep both Docs. and you will be issued with a new V5C from the DVLA, showing the change in status. Your next V11 will also show this change.

Last point. If you have paid any Tax in the first 3 months of this year i.e Jan to March you are not entitled to a refund! The effective date is 1.4.2015!

Hope this helps,

Bruce..

Get a V888 record trace form from the PO then send it off to the DVLA. That should give you all the history of the car from it's first registration date. When I did it, it cost a fiver.

Dave

Gents

On the same subject, my '6' was also registered on 1st August 1975.

When buying the car, I was lead to believe that it was built in August or September 1974, but, obviously, need to contact the Heritage Motor Centre to be sure.

I have the Comm & engine numbers.

There are 2 plates fixed to the bulkhead, which I believe are body numbers, one allocated by Triumph and one by the builder of the bodyshell.

Questions;

Does anyone know which is which?

Does it matter which I supply to the Heritage Motor Centre?

Dear Kevin,

Numbers. The number(s) that you require are on the Alum. Name Plate on the B Post on the Passenger Door (LHS). Is this plate missing? The numbers on the bulk head in the engine compartment are to my knowledge not required. The Body Pressing / Bodyshell Manufacture was Pressed Steel Fisher a BL company. It looks to me that Dave's suggestion may be right that you fill in a V888 and get a trace on your car, from the DVLA? I know that I keep coming back to your V5C this will show you the Chassis number and Engine number, that was all that the Heritage Centre needed from me in the 1990's,

Bruce.

Food for thought.

Yes I do have the V5, it is a uk registered vehicle never exported and is currently on sorn since last November.

British Motor heritage seem dis interested which surprised me. I guess if things roll on year by year next year there can be no question, but if labour get back in it will all stall. A good enough reason for not voting for them in my opinion.

I will try my emailed letter as proof.

any more ideas ?

kevin

Kevin,

When I went through this loop last year, nobody in the Register or other organisations or others seem to know what to do to change the status of my car to Historic. Just by chance when I phoned the DVLA I was referred to the person who was implementing the DVLA Policy. So I had it straight from the horses' mouth as to what to do. When I went down to my local PO, I was the fist to apply and I had no trouble.

Re: Heritage Cert. When I received my Cert 20 years ago, I was disappointed with the accuracy of the information supplied, as my car is a one owner car and I know what specification was ordered originally.

Lastly, looking in Bill Piggot Book it shows that the last PI (Assumed it is a PI) was built on the 7.2.75? and was CR6701. This does not tie up with your info, is this where the problem lies?

Bruce.

Kevin,

Full details on how to get the taxation class of your TR6 changed are in the DVLA document INF34 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419830/INF34_090315.pdf

You don't need to send in a Heritage certificate, and as detailed in INF34 all you need to send is an abstract from the relevant Glass's Check Book. This Check Book confirms that the first TR6 in 1975 is CR6622 so if your TR6 has a commission number earlier than this you will qualify. If you have a commission number later than this then I would still not give up hope as CR6622 is not necessarily the latest in 1975 and in fact my research into the 1975 built PI TR6 shows that there were very few PI TR6 built in 1975 and certainly CR6622 was not anywhere near the last built in 1974. You will however need to go down the Heritage certificate path if your commission number is CR6622 or greater. If you send me an email to saffrontr6@btinternet.com I will send you a scan of the relevant page from the Glasses Check Book which you will need to print out and send in with your application.

cheers

Derek

TR6 registrar

Dear Derek,

I have read the NF34 and if you have a valid V5C as Kevin has, the system is exactly as I stated and exactly as I did last year. Which is V5C and V10, nothing else is required.

Bruce.

Dear Bruce,

In Kevin's case he will need to do more as his TR6 is registered in 1975 and hence he will need to provide proof in the form of a BMIHT certificate or page from the Glass's Check Book that his TR6 was built before the end of 1974 which is the current cut off. If you managed to circumvent that requirement then you were lucky as I have had at least a dozen of more members contact me saying that the DVLA have rejected their application because the date of registration was after the cut off and that it was only when they went back with proof of build that they have been successful. A number of applicants this year have also been put off from applying by the DVLA because of a lack of awareness by the DVLA that the cut off date has been moved forward by one year.

Derek

This has, without a doubt, been an extremely informative topic.

With a registration date of 1/8/75 and a commission number of CR6072, I have also had some (minor by comparison) difficulties.

Derek, if I PM my email address, could you oblige with a copy of thd appropriate Glasses Check Book page?

Thanks

Edited by wjgco

Derek will confirm that the last UK car was built in early February'75 - and the last number was 6701. Unfortunately many cars had been hanging around, at the factory, at dealers etc for a long time! My road TR was registered 18/2/75, and was 27th (if my arithmetic is correct!) last UK car built - but it was bought direct out of the factory under the Leyland Management scheme (by an Abingdon employee - he must have been popular!), so no great delay to first registration.

But if you can prove date of manufacture, the process is actually very simple! You can usually find a suitable Glass's check book on ebay, which could help.

Good luck!

Edited by alan57

Dear Derek,,

Following from my experience last year with having direct contact with the DVLA Vehicle Policy Strategy and Policy Directorate Dept. I was assured that the DVLA people on their help desk would be fully brought up to speed as to Historic Vehicle Status. Your email proves different and this was my complaint last year that their help desk did not know any of the procedure? I think the Register needs to inform, email or speak to the above Dept. directly. I do have a contact name there but I had not better supply it over the forum.

Advise please,

Regards,

Bruce.

Well I failed today at local main post office, my car is 74 built 75 reg, I have a heritage certificate, they didn't know what it was, I gave up, paid my £126 and will be posting the reg doc to Swansea. Main thing is I'm back on the road for spring and to be honest £126 is cheap after blasting round the A roads for an hour tonight I have had my monies worth already

Well I failed today at local main post office, my car is 74 built 75 reg, I have a heritage certificate, they didn't know what it was, I gave up, paid my £126 and will be posting the reg doc to Swansea. Main thing is I'm back on the road for spring and to be honest £126 is cheap after blasting round the A roads for an hour tonight I have had my monies worth already

Dont let the "B"s get you down

Dont let the "B"s get you down

I have been married for nearly 30 years and in 2002 I rebuilt an MGB, so nothing gets me down

Derek

Many thanks for the copy glasses entry

Like Daz, I was tempted to use my local PO but, fear of failure overcame me and I sent the whole shebang, 1st class recorded, to the DVLA

No heritage cerificate, just, the V5C, copy of Glasses Check Book entry, appropriate other DVLA forms and a brief prayer

I will report back

Hi All,

Without wanting to upset Kevin but add to the experiences here:

Today I took my V5 and V11 to the post office. I had to explain to the man behind the counter that the class had changed to Historic now (acknowledged as '74 on V5). He knew of the general rule but not what the cut off dates were. He was especially skeptical because the V11 is still demanding real money - he thought the DVLA should have automatically picked that up - I reassured him they don't. Luckily he took my word for it and got me to change the class and sign the V5 which he took to send to DVLA. He then gave me my receipt for £0 annual VED! Whole process took about 5 minutes.

Kevin - small comfort - but I don't think Labour will get round to cancelling the exemption that quickly this time (if at all). The V888 route that others describe is worth a try - I did that a few years ago and it provided an informative record of the cars life that's nice to have anyway.

Good luck,

Michael.

Some people are missing the point here.

DVLA use the date when a vehicle was first registered.

BUT the government applied Historic Status using the date of manufacture as a reference!

If a car was registered in the year following manufacture, but qualifies for Historic Status then the DVLA needs proof!

My car was registered in 1974, so became historic from April this year. If I had bothered to go down the heritage route to provide the DVLA of proof of date of manufacture then I could have changed the class to Historic last year. This would have meant I would have to send all the relevant documantation to Swansea and wait for them to do it. I Just taxed the car for 6 months instead.

In the 2015 Budget George Osborne confirmed that the rolling break would continue. Hopefully 1976 should escape any changes to government.

I didn't realise that the relevent data from Glasses Check book would suffice. Hopefully this will be of use to many, and is a far cheaper option than getting a heritage certificate.

If a vehicle qualifies automatically then it can be done at the post office. If proof is needed then it's Recorded Delivery to DVLA Swansea.

Some people are missing the point here.

DVLA use the date when a vehicle was first registered.

BUT the government applied Historic Status using the date of manufacture as a reference!

If a car was registered in the year following manufacture, but qualifies for Historic Status then the DVLA needs proof!

My car was registered in 1974, so became historic from April this year. If I had bothered to go down the heritage route to provide the DVLA of proof of date of manufacture then I could have changed the class to Historic last year. This would have meant I would have to send all the relevant documantation to Swansea and wait for them to do it. I Just taxed the car for 6 months instead.

In the 2015 Budget George Osborne confirmed that the rolling break would continue. Hopefully 1976 should escape any changes to government.

I didn't realise that the relevent data from Glasses Check book would suffice. Hopefully this will be of use to many, and is a far cheaper option than getting a heritage certificate.

If a vehicle qualifies automatically then it can be done at the post office. If proof is needed then it's Recorded Delivery to DVLA Swansea.

My concern is that a labour Government would put the brakes on a rolling annual advancement just like Gordon did when he was Exchequer.

I have sent my papers off, so will report back in due course.

Gordon Brown did not like motor cars,he said so in a radio interview, he has a driving licence but doesn't drive! Don't know what Millipedes like in this area.

As to taxing at a PO,I used my local village one and had no issues at all,I think the problem lies in presenting the V11,my car was sorned over the winter months (not any more though :D ) so perhaps that is the difference. The lady in the PO doesn't know me from Adam,but there are a number of classic car owners in the area and perhaps she has had experience of doing them.