Brantz trip and speedo sensor

I'm looking to install a Brantz trip meter in my TR4 and from looking at other posts, I think for me the speedo cable option is the best bet. Looking at the instructions on the Brantz website, it would seem you need to remove the inner cable to cut into the outer and thread the sensor. If I am to remove the inner cable and put it back I presumably need to take out the gearbox tunnel etc. However, the earlier posts there is no mention of this. Can it be done without removing the inner cable? Any other tips, comments would be welcome.

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

Can't be done without removing the inner cable because, as you say, you need to cut a small length out of the outer cable and clamp the sensor between the two pieces.

However, you should be able to access the gearbox end of speedo cable from under the car (I've never removed the gearbox tunnel to do this). I suppose it's possible that you could even replace the inner cable without taking off the gearbox fitting...but I've never been able to!

It's not too tricky - undo both ends of the speedo cable; pull out the inner cable; make the necessary cuts to the outer cable; clamp the two pieces either side of the Brantz sensor; push the inner back in (making sure the cable/sensor doesn't separate); re-attach the two ends of the speedo cable.

I tend to make the cut on the cable in the engine bay, just the other side of the bulkhead - but you (or others) may do this differently.

I can probably provide a photo if that's helpful.

Tim

Hi

I always make the cable cut so that the sensor is on the cabin side of the bulkhead. Keeps it dry.

Also, look closely at hub sensors - very easy to fit and sense off the 4 bolt heads inside the hub. More reliable than the speedo sensor and also not subject to wheel spin. A good combination is both on a splitter, feeding the trip with two sensors.

Regards Tony

Thanks for the replies. I have never replaced a speedo cable but when mine broke I recall being told you could not get to it on an overdrive box unless you removed the cover. The gearbox was coming out anyway for a recon so it didnt really matter as the cable was replaced at that point. Haven't looked under the car to check myself though so will do so now.

Regards

Bob

Fair point on placement, Tony. I haven't ever had problems with mine, but good advice nonetheless. Bob, as you no doubt know, Tony has forgotten more about rallying a TR4 than the rest of us are likely ever to know - especially in tough conditions in the UK lanes!!

FWIW, I also prefer to use a hub sensor on the left-front wheel (LHD) - with a change-over in case I need to swap to the cable. Much more accurate (and reliable).