Hi all,

My TR7 has no boot stay, well I have a piece of wood I use , but it's not that good, so my question is as my car is a 1981 it should have an air strut fitted but can I use the earlier type which is like the bonnet prop,and if so has anyone got a spare they would like to sell?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Simontdo,

I think you mean it should have! as I said I have a block of wood as there is nothing on my boot lid .

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

You could revert to the earlier system, your boot lid should have the two holes for the top bracket. You will have to fabricate the bottom bracket or get hold of a second hand one - then it will need fixing I have seen mention about using one of the new wonder glues but probably best to weld it in place.

Hopefully someone has a spare they can send you.

Good luck

Ian

Phil, the gas stays are quite small & tucked in under the rear deck by the boot hinges.

Are yours missing altogether or have they just lost pressure?

You could use the earlier stay, there should be threaded holes in the boot lid for the top mounting but the bottom mounting bracket on the underside of the boot lip may not be there so would have to be fixed on - it could be welded although I think some people have successfully used superglue!

Thanks Guys,

I think given the cost difference I will use the older stay type. Has anyone got a photo of the position for the bottom mounting bracket and better still anyone got a bracket?

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

here's some pictures from when I converted my '80 TR8 DHC (and

dads '81 TR7V8 FHC) to the trusted old mechanical solution:

mech_boot_stay_01.jpg

mech_boot_stay_02.jpg

mech_boot_stay_03.jpg

mech_boot_stay_04.jpg

mech_boot_stay_05.jpg

mech_boot_stay_06.jpg

Cheers,

/Odd

Edited by Odd

Good morning Odd,

Thanks for the great photos, they are just the sort of help I was hoping for. Is the bottom bracket available or did you make it?

Cheers

Phil