Inertia fuel cut off switch

I was once told just bumping into a kerb can operate the inertia switch! Is that true?

Moderns are fitted with inertia cutouts. One is very popular, fitted to many makes and available on ebay in droves.

I have one, and it did cut out when I rode the kerb on Riches, at Snetterton.

But Riches is a fast corner, and the kerb is corrugated. See an earlier thread about cut-outs.

Just bumping a kerb while parking won't trip it.

JOhn

Early Ford Sierra ones had a habit of tripping them easily by kerbing before they were revised.

Stuart.

CR inertia switch activates randomly when 40yo and half melted internally...

Now NLA so have substituted for a Rover/MGF version. Home mocked up adapter then made up by a 3D Titanium printer locally (inside some rocket parts apparently...bit curious for a 70s car)

CR inertia switch activates randomly when 40yo and half melted internally...

Yes no need to even bump a kerb in my experience. Unpleasant when it cuts out going up a hill on the oustde lane of a dual carriageway.

I'd be safer without one I reckon , unless its reliable modern replacement as you have done.

Peter

Hello from Germany

if you are looking for a reliable cut-of-switch you might try this one

Mini One or Cooper (R50/R52) up to build 09/2002

Part-no 07 13 1 068 856

Best regards

Charly

I was once told just bumping into a kerb can operate the inertia switch! Is that true?

I took my car off road through a hedge a few years ago and although the engine stalled it started straight away without resetting the inertia switch,so unless one was mounted badly or has been said very worn everyday driving on our speed bump infested roads shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Cew

I fitted one from an 80s Jag, more in keeping with the car rather than the more modern rubber ones, search ebay about £20 I think