up loading photos

Hi Alan,

It would have been nice for you to contact me directly rather than unnecessarily propagating conspiracy theories or scaremongering.

We use a company called Layershift for hosting the website. We researched the market extensively and this company came up with a UK based support package at very reasonable cost, they offer special rates for non - profit organisations like ours for example.. They also support the type of database we needed to use for the website construction and dynamic provisioning to ensure we don't have the load speed issues we had on a daily basis with our previous setup.

As I am sure you are aware, with potentially large websites like ours it is more complex than simple storage space. You need to consider appropriate CPU capabilities on the servers as well as a whole host of other technical implications.

As I have said many times, the forum is going to change. But, patience is required. I was talking to a new forum supplier just this morning and working out with them whether what they offer fits our needs and is able to integrate with our website and import the data from IP Board without losing the archive of knowledge built up over many years. There are lots of solutions out there, but with capabilities come complexities and I need to find something that is both powerful AND easy to use.

I have the feedback from forum users and the membership at large. I am aware of the issues and we are working on an exciting new board. Alan, you obviously have valuable and significant professional experience in this field, so if you would like to assist in this then feel free to contact me directly, always willing to accept help offered. However, casting aspersions on the forum is not the way to help progress.

The image upload size limit is 4MB at a max size of 1024 x 768 (HD res).

This really is more than ample for most images. Should your image be larger than that you can use services online to shrink it, I can strongly recommend this for example:

http://compressjpeg.com

Simply drag and drop and then download.

Hi Alan,

It would have been nice for you to contact me directly rather than unnecessarily propagating conspiracy theories or scaremongering.

<snip>

As I have said many times, the forum is going to change. But, patience is required. I was talking to a new forum supplier just this morning and working out with them whether what they offer fits our needs and is able to integrate with our website and import the data from IP Board without losing the archive of knowledge built up over many years. There are lots of solutions out there, but with capabilities come complexities and I need to find something that is both powerful AND easy to use.

I have the feedback from forum users and the membership at large. I am aware of the issues and we are working on an exciting new board. Alan, you obviously have valuable and significant professional experience in this field, so if you would like to assist in this then feel free to contact me directly, always willing to accept help offered. However, casting aspersions on the forum is not the way to help progress.

I will eat a bit of humble pie and admit my tone was a bit strong, but I was a bit annoyed when I came to upload a few pictures to illustrate a technical thread and found I couldn't. I was under the impression that the recent web site revamp and upgrade had also removed the restrictions on the forum, which it obviously hasn't.

NB. Since earlier this year IMHO the performance of the forum has improved and the IP.Board software isn't too bad, yes there is software with loads more bells and whistles, but it actually does the main task of allowing people to communicate OK. Forum communication is different to other forms of social media, its format tends to make people think before they write or respond, and thus tend to keep the level of noise down. I have seen several good forums go to the dogs when they have switched to using social media platforms as the serious users retreat from a hail of inane messages where you can't read the wood for the trees!

So from my perspective I wasn't requesting that the Register spent a huge amount of time, effort or money coming up with something new, but rather that some "artificial?" restrictions were removed.

I will email re your last point to see if we can be of assistance.

Alan

This really is more than ample for most images.

Unfortunately the max for all images uploaded is 5MB, which means even those of us who keep our individual images to around 100-150K hit the buffers after uploading 15-20 images, after which you have to make the choice "do i delete an older image important to an earlier thread,or not bother".

Thats the problem.

To be honest you could cut the max image size down to 0.5MB and you would do everyone a favour as it would save large images being stored on the servers and being delivered to everyone who views a page with them on. Two stones with one bird!

Alan

The ipboard forum software is not bad although the mobile experience is not that great. The weak aspect has always been support for pictures, not just the storage but the clunky multi-step process needed to upload and embed. This gets even more clunky when you have to use an external hosting site to overcome the forum storage limits. Now you are into cutting and pasting links.

A further complication with the externally hosted images is that modern client side security is suspicious of any embedded links so you may have done everything correct and still not see your picture because your local security policy is blocking it.

Stan

To be honest you could cut the max image size down to 0.5MB and you would do everyone a favour as it would save large images being stored on the servers and being delivered to everyone who views a page with them on. Two stones with one bird!

Alan

Even 0.5 meg is a bit big for a jpg posted here - 100k max is more than adequate for most purposes. Mac users can easily do that by opening the picture in Preview and using 'save-as', JPEG, and setting the quality slider as low as possible to still show the required detail.

This really is more than ample for most images. Should your image be larger than that you can use services online to shrink it, I can strongly recommend this for example:

When I Click on that above Link it takes me back to Rogers Post above that re the £££££££££ in going round in Circles.

• 2 months later...

But this is a total for an individual forum user, not just a single image, isn't it? It forces users to delete older content to post new images, thus devaluing older threads and our collective archive considerably.

• 1 month later...

I seem to have problem with photos as well.

I can attach files in new forum posts but there is no full editor function button when I am composing a new personal message. Also in manage attachments, I can delete photos but not add any? How do you upload for example new signature pictures without posting a new thread? Or is it just me? The My Media button is as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle frankly...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gavin,

you can't upload photo's in the PM facility.

Roger

You used to be able to.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I put in a plea in favour of using Flickr.

This works flawlessly and arranges your photos too. You need to do this anyway or they soon become impossible to find. And since someone told me the trick the photos appear here without readers doing any clicking.

Flickr is free and you get 2 Tb storage. Tb not Mb.

For web-use there is no value in having images larger than about 300 Kb. They are quick to move about at this size.

Don't ask me how you should resize them. I am using a Mac and this is all built in.

Here is a 255 Kb image of a well known car, taken from Flickr.

19928268472_6d56b079ff_b.jpg

Edited by AlanT