After a winter break my kenlowe fan is remaining dormant.

I have checked the power supply to the fan which is OK. The return lead from the fan to the thermostatic controller is showing 12 volts on a multimeter, however if I then earth this lead the fan shows no sign of life.

Not sure how old the fan is as it was already on the car when I bought it 7 years ago, but would estimate it as "elderly". My next move was to remove the fan for further investigation, but a couple of years ago I fitted a new radiator. As I result of this I had to renew the fan to radiator attachments, and used the plastic "zip tie" attachments provided by kenlowe. I am now concerned that I could damage the radiator trying to remove these ties.

So before I go any further, has anyone got any ideas on how I might coax my fan back to life, and any advice on how best to remove the ties would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks for such a quick response Simon.

I think that my poor terminology has failed me when I say that the return lead is showing 12 volts.

What I have is two leads at the fan. One is a constant 12 volt power supply, the other runs from the fan to the thermostatic controller where I assume it is earthed once the temperature sense reaches the require value.

I have 12 volts at the lead that runs to the thermostatic controller, therefore I have power at the fan. I thought that earthing this lead that runs back to the controller should turn the fan, but perhaps I wrong.

Ashley

Which controller are you using ? My kenlowe electronic controllers failed twice, now have revotec.

Wit mine the electronic controller switched a relay feed to the fan, not a switched earth.

As other poster said, check earth again carefully and then wire up a fused live feed to see if it is fan motor.