Removing a rounded spark plug

About three years ago now, my son dumped his old Renault Clio (from 1995) on my driveway and has not bothered with it since. And so, rather than doing work on the TR and bu****ing it up, I told him that I was going to practice on his old car, before I have to send it off to the scrapyard.

First things first, I thought I'd lubricate the upper cylinders, following the advice provided in a thread I started a couple of days back. Three plugs came out reasonably easily, but one was stuck sold and difficult to get a bite on. Socket now just slips round it. My question then, now can it be removed?

Darren

Make sure you use a hexagonal socket - not bi hex, this will give you the best chance.

BTW Roger, I have one of those "needle type sockets, & have always found it to be completely useless !

Bob.

Hi Darren,

there are some sockets on ebay that are filled with rods and can grip almost anything.

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Professional-4Pc-Stud-Extractor-Chrome-Vanadium-Socket-Set-6-12mm-/281634356783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4192b73e2f

Roger

Roger,

My limited experience is that they can round almost anything!

Hi I think you need one of these Irwin bolt grip, brake of the white porcelain and put the bolt grip on it

Run a realizing agent around the plug

Job done, great bit of kit sits in your tool box for years but when you need it it really gets you out of the ****

I expect the corrosion has started because of dissimilar metals

Pink

It's a Renault, therefore it corrodes, anywhere and everywhere . . . .

and anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and sooner rather than later . . . . .

and as for the bits that can't go wrong, it's a Renault, they just take a little longer . . . .

Nothing wrong with a Renault that can't be solved with a scrapyard crusher, one foot cube and it won't go wrong again . . . . :rolleyes:

Cheers

Alec

Try the nearest imperial size socket, tap it on (might take a fair whack or two !) then apply brute force . . . . .

Cheers

Alec

I don't think I've seen a rounded spark plug in my life.

I'm with Alec here, especially for a scrap car. Find a six-point socket you can hammer on tight and get a big breaker bar.

I'd also soak it with whatever penetrating oil you like (which does not include WD-40 IMO) for a few days prior to getting all gorilla on it.

Is it not possible to get the engine started and run up hot at all ? Then try some of the above advice, particularly that of using a good hex socket rather than multi point. The heat generated from a running engine may well do the trick.

Noel

Thanks for the further suggestions.

Funnily enough Noel, as the car is going to be scrapped anyway, I thought I'd stick the other plugs back in, stick the jump starter on it and give it a go. Couldn't believe it when it fired up first time, after about three years standing. It ran out of fuel after running about ten minutes, but I'll stick some more in and heat it up before trying again with offending plug, as suggested.

Thanks, Darren

Reminds me of a mate of mine who years ago had a 2CV, he had real bother trying to remove one of the plugs, he eventually gave up, while driving it home the problem plug shot through the bonnet like an armour piercing bullet......seems his efforts did after all loosen it off and or damage the thread.

I still have a giggle at that!

Reminds me of a mate of mine who years ago had a 2CV, he had real bother trying to remove one of the plugs, he eventually gave up, while driving it home the problem plug shot through the bonnet like an armour piercing bullet......seems his efforts did after all loosen it off and or damage the thread.

I still have a giggle at that!

Years ago when I ran a business restoring Jaguars we had a customer who liked to do his own servicing and he had managed to cross thread a plug in a Series 1 4.2 XJ6 engine, he thought it was tight whereas it was only in a few threads. Obviously not good in an ally head. So on a fast run the next day it had fired the plug right up through the very centre of the bonnet. Need less to say after the size of the bill to repair head and bonnet we had the car for servicing thereafter.

Stuart.