'Sticky' steering column

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help.

My TR4A have a problem with a sticky steering column. It gives a 'notchy' movement when turning with a feeling that something is too tight. Most noticeable when cruising, this ruins the driving experience as tiny adjustments to remain in a straight line requires force and there is an audible 'release' as the column concedes to rotate.

At first I suspected the horn bush and pencil but these are smooth and the stickiness appears to be coming from the firewall area. I have tried moving the inner column fore and aft and shifted the clamp which is forward of the firewall but this makes no difference. Has anyone got any suggestions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

It could be the nylon bushes in the steering column - I fitted new ones and I had that sticky feeling. I had to polish the column on my buffing wheel. Alternatively it might be the steering rack. You'll have to disconnect the upper steering joint to eliminate one or the other.

Make sure everything that should be is tightened down, eg rack clamps, the clamps along the column and to rack.

Mike

It could also be the top ball joint and/or the TRunnion.

As Pete suggests you will need to disconnect the top steering column UJ and see what happens.

Disconnect the Track rod end and see the result - and so on.

Roger

As Roger says all the steering joints are suspect at this point including top ball joints and trunnions. One of these sticking would cause the flexible column joint to wind up and then release.

I disconnected the upper steering joint as suggested and the column was still sticking so I removed the inner column and (as Pete suggested) polished the column at the points that run inside the nylon bushes (they were slightly corroded). Once reassembled the problem is cured and the column is beautifully smooth and easy.

The forum once again has been invaluable. Thanks for everyone's help.

Many thanks.

Mike.