Took the 6 out for a trip today and when I left home, the fuel and temp gauges were working fine, and then suddenly not.

As I've been here before, instantly thought of the voltage stabiliser (again !!)

As I got nearer to home, they started working again. Turned off the ignition to open up the garage. Got back in, started her up and no gauge readings again.

Dodgy fuse, voltage stabilizer or something more sinister, like a short somewhere ??

If it is the voltage stabilizer, where's the best placed to get a decent quality one ? The current one was only fitted April last year.

Steve

Those two guages failing in a synchronised fashion has to pint to their shared positive voltage feed.

So that's either the stabiliser or its power feed.

Perhaps rig up a temp new feed to check this before replacing the stabiliser?

I bought one of the electronic stabilisers from ebay, seems to work ok and didn't cost much.

Steve

Check the integrity of the fuses. I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a faulty fuse. It wasn't blown but the fuse link was making intermittent contact with one of the end caps.

Highly likely to be voltage stabiliser as the repros have a poor reputation.

Stuart.

Although our cars are very old now, I was interested to here on an American TV Classic Car Show recently how they hate Lucas electrical systems and wiring! And over the years we all thought it was just us!

And check the new one outputs 10 volts before you refit...just in case.

Steve,

Had the same problem on mine. It appeared to be the fuse box - not the fuses - since the problem went avay when I rotated the fuse in question - the one with the red wire, on mine the bottom one.

I cleaned the brass connections on all fuses with fine steele wool (not easy) and the problem stopped.

Have now installed a new fuse box.

Manfred

Iain,

I just don't get it. What should be wrong with that. My car had been stationary for eight years and it was clear that the problem was that the brass connectors in the fuse box were pritty much coroded.

I took the wires of (photo + documentation first!) removed the box, took it to my workshop, polished the fuse connectors + the lucar ones with steel wool, cleaned them afterwards and reinstalled the thing with new fuses.

However, since the box did not look so well, i decided to change it - £15.50 at Rimmer Bross http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RTC440A

Manfred

• 2 months later...

Manfred,

Sorry for delay in replying.

Steel wool could get left behind and short out things. Steel wool would be difficult to use, but you had successfully used it. Steel wool just is something I would not have used.

If it worked for you good job.

Cheers,

Iain.