'It aint arf ot mum'

I took my TR3 out for it's first hot weather spin since it's restoration, this weekend. Wow ! wasn't it hot. Had a great ride, the water temperature kept good too, thanks to the electric Kenlowe.

Anyway, what I did experience was a very hot cockpit around the legs. Not surprising with all that real metal between the engine bay and cockpit and no designed insulation. Anyone out there come up with anything clever to deal with it? I wondered about a couple of vents carefully placed in the side wings somehow.

What are your thoughts on this.

Chalky.  ???

1960 TR3A TS61652

The weather was great, but I think weekends like this past one are the exception rather than the norm. Any non-reversible type of ventilation would mean that during the cold and miserable times, you'd be pretty darn cold ...

I would leave the cockpit alone and enjoy the warmth

Guest tonygerrard

I went down to Lurgashall to watch the local cricket team on Sunday and found the temperature a bit of a test for the cooling system.  Steady cruising at 55 - 60 mph put the engine temp at close to 200 degrees....didn't have to stop but that was hot enough to make me keep a close eye on the gauge.

Cheers

I thought, something clever like open/shut vents might work. They certainly would have to shut tight for the winter.

Chalky  :)

Hi Chalky

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first drive out. :cool:

The “hot leg syndrome” is something you may have to endure. However, I pull the driver's car mat over the handbrake hole as most of the hot air seems to enter the car through this gap and it does the trick of deflecting most of it back - well, enough to stop the hairs on my legs singeing anyway!

Also, make sure you have the jack hole rubber in place.

I had thought of lining the gearbox tunnel (gearbox side) with some kind of reflective foil, but haven't got round to it and to be honest, I can’t really be bothered.

As Neil says, you should enjoy the warmth - particularly on cold winter days!! :D

Happy TRing!

Andrew

OK everyone, point taken. I will order up my asbestos trousers.

Chalky :laugh:

Hi Chalky, Glad to hear you are using the car. Hope the carbs are working well. Try putting some aluminium foil under the carpet, shiny side down rather than green side up as I say to my gardner when he turfs a lawn.

:D

Some pipe foam/ lagging is handy for covering the handbrake lever. I know on my TR4 on a hot day it gets a bit toasty on the left lower leg (especially if I'm wearing shorts!!!).

You'll appreciate the warmth on late evening drives or sunny winter days too.

Hi Rex,  The carbs run like a dream. In fact for such a lay up, the car has run really well. I need to tighten up the head after 500 miles and thats it for now.

Have you sold your TR6 yet? it looks to be a really good buy for someone. I will get used to the quirks of TR driving, its great really, it brings out the big kid in us wouldn't you agree?

Chalky  :D

Hi Chalky, yes it certainly brings a big smile out in me when I am driving either the 6 or the 4. Hot left leg not withstanding

No luck selling the TR6 yet, pity, it is as a new car body wise and only a third of the price of a similar condition tr5, which everyone seems to want.

enjoy your motoring and get those first 500 miles on soon.

:D

Hi Rex, how's it going?

On the over hot cockpit theme, I went out at the weekend and nearly roasted, untill 50 miles later we thought to check the heater valve on the cylinder head was closed properly. It wasn't! Even though the control was pushed fully home, it seems that the cable flexes too much to overcome that last bit-and that was on both our 4's.

You coming on the TSSC Peak run this weekend?  Crich Tramway museum Saturday, mystery run to Chatsworth Sunday.

My 6 is still not even vaguely finished, as we've been putting all our efforts into the Daimler Dart-finished Tuesday-going to France today!!

The plan is to have mine done for Malvern :D , the problem then is trying to convince the wife to drive the 4! :laugh:

Maybe I should get a towbar on the 6!

Rob.

Going back to the original post, I would be interested to hear what anyone uses as underlay beneath their carpets.  At the moment I have just got mats in the footwell and nothing over the transmission tunnel yet as it all went together rather quickly last weekend.

I have been looking for something that will act as heat/sound insulation as well as not absorbing/trapping water.

Any ideas?

Dave

Rex,

I am somewhat dubious about using normal underfelt as I try and use the car throughout the year and ineviatably it gets wet inside from time to time. (especially when the sidescreens go out to about 3" from the windscreen)  In my experience the felt just absorbs the water and then rots the floor.  I am hoping to find something that isn't absorbent, so that I can just lift the mats and mop it out when the water gets too deep!

Dave

Hi Dave, little bit of lateral thinking, have you thought of trying the so-called "space blankets", they're are very strong, but very thin, pliable and easy to cut (made of Mylar film?).   They used to be recommended for wrapping people suffering with hyperthermia (should that be hypo?) - severe chilling anyway!   With cold people, it kept them cold - the reverse effect of what they wanted!   They always used to wrap athletes after races but caused over-heating because they reflected so much heat, and were then withdrawn or banned!
In my development engineer days (with a large Dagenham motor manufacturer who shall remain anonymous) I remember we used a closed cell foam with metal foil on one side and a plastic film on the other.   Can't remember what it was called or where it came from but it had excellent heat and sound insulation properties and did not absorb water.   It may be worth making a few enquiries.

I would say any foam will give you insulation against heat, cold and noise. When it is a closed cell foam it will take up no water. There are cheap ones mainly in PU and the more technic foams such as EPDM that is often used in the automotive industry. If you have water on the floors, no matter what foam you are using it is important to get that out asap. As a closed cellis airthight as well, the moisture might be there for a long time as it can hardly evaporate from there. For reflection of the exhaust heat I suggest you first wrap the exhaust with commercially availible exhaust wrap, availible trough a lot of suppliers. Than glue a piece of reflective foil preferably on a heat resistant carrier like glass fibre or kevlar on the exhaust side of the gearbox tunnel. The foil should point to the exhaust or the heat source.These foils or better mats should be availible from various suppliers (eg. demon tweeks not to name one.) Putting a reflective foil on the interior side will be of little to no help.

Cheers, Rudi

Moss, and other distributors, sell insulated underfelts.  With the exhaust system on the right side, my passengers were getting cooked.  When we looked under the old carpet, we also found holes in unusual places on the transmission tunnel, so fixed them as well.  It will never be as cool as you want, but the insulating underfelt certainly works.