Hardtop - cover for soft top left installed?

I saw an ad on eBay for a hood cover which can be fitted to the hard top (inside, pop-fastened to the rear shelf). Seems to imply the soft top can be left in-situ when the hardtop is installed. Is that possible/correct? I always remove the soft top on my 6 when I install the hardtop, and I can't see how I could leave it in place; at the very least I'd need to unbolt the rail at the back where it fixes to the body.

Of course it's more likely I'm competely misunderstanding how this item is meant to be fitted. Perhaps it's just to hide stuff on the rear shelf... Anyone able to shed any light on this?

On a related subject, does anyone have a copy of the hardtop fitting instructions they could send me?

Cheers,

John

Hi John,I have a factory hard-top fitted to my TR6 and have removed the soft-top and frame. Assuming you have all of the original hard-top fittings the b-post ties will use at least one of the retaining holes either side where the soft-top frame bolted to. Removing the soft-top and frame also allows for extra luggage storage behind the seats if required.

Regards, Peter

John that's why in 1973 BL supplied a 2 in 1 hood bag, which could be used for the normal soft top fitted but down position but also could be used and fitted to the inside of the hardtop when the soft top was left in situ when the hard top was fitted. I tried this exercise once (never again I hasten to add) many years ago now just to replicate how Triumph did it. Yes you had to unbolt the rear 5 bolts on the soft top rear rail and fold the soft top normally but when you came to fit the hard top side fixings (a single S shaped bracket on each side) these had to be fitted over the normal soft top side fixings (3 screw affairs) with the result that the hard top side fixings protruded further into the centre of the car making fitting the hardtop side fittings (the ones already in the hard top that is) very difficult and tight.

Moral of this (if you are still with me) is just don't bother, as its just as quick, and just as easy to take the soft top assembly off completely and fit hard top as per usual.

Alan

BTW BL supplied not only normal hood bags, double action hood bags as stated above but also hood bags for the hard top only! Phew!!

Hi Bill, I am also interested I shall send you a PM with my email. Update PM sent

Tank's per advance

Best regards

Edited by Marc R

For anyone interested here is a poor pdf to word conversion of the hardtop fitting instructions in order to attach here. Or if you send your email address I will send a copy of original pdf version which is better quality. Out of interest does anyone know how to attach a pdf file to a forum post?

Cheers

Bill

TR6 Hardtop fitting instructions.doc

Hi Bill thanks' a lot for the documents, I bought an HT last year and I shall start the restoration second part of this year.

Best regards

Thanks Bill - PM sent

Cheers,

John

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the info on the factory Hard Top Kit, which I have down loaded and printed off..

Re: the parts list on page 4. I have notice that this page is not centralized when scanned or copied and therefore some of the info is missing. Are you able to re-do this page please?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

If you click on 'enable editing' in the yellow warning bar at the top you will be able to click and drag the parts picture on page 4 to enable it to be centralised. If that does not work please send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy of the original PDF file.

Cheers

Bill

Just bought a rough but sound factory hard top, all fittings are present. bought some narrow sill finishers (early TR6) to make the hardtop finishers and a head lining kit to replace the shredded one. The only things missing are the internal vent grills (these are, I have been told, virtually impossible to get). Does anyone have any photos of these surrounds (front and back) and mesh. I have taken measurements of the land in the hardtop where the vent grills are attached. The picture in the parts manual showing the grill is distorted. I am going to attempt to make some out of alloy sheet and an old speaker grill.

It takes a little extra fiddling to tuck he soft top into place but it will fit. The rear bar with the 5 bolts is tricky to tuck in so take your time. In stall hard top, as per instructions, then install the soft top cover that is made to snap to the inside of the hard top. If you don't have this special soft top cover it makes no sense to tuck the soft top in so just remove it.

Good Luck

tr6112411052-1.jpg