Sidescreen perspex refurb

Guest PhilipP

Guest PhilipP

The perspex in my sidescreens is badly scratched. All the scratches are small and the resullt is that they are difficult to see through, the micro scratches give them a cloudy effect.

Replacement sidescreens are £176 ea from Moss which seems a bit steep and excessive.

4 replacement perspex panes from Moss is £64, which also seems a bit steep (plus they are sewn in and look tricky to exchange)

I have found these two products on the web (one £40, one £8), both claiming to clean up perspex to 'like new'. I'd like to know if anyone has used them or knows if they work or not. They sound to good to be true.

http://www.hindsightuk.com/default.asp

http://www.quillertriumph.co.uk/Quiller....ish.htm

Cheers

Philip

Have you tried John Skinner for replacements?

Are you after the fixed cobex panels or the sliding perspex windows (later cars)?

www.john-skinner.co.uk

Chris

Philip, if you want the definitive answer on what to use for perspex go and take yourself to your nearest local airfield (not big domestic), then track down an aircraft engineer and ask what they use.

There are products specifically for the purpose of restoring perspex, but they are not cheap.

Mychael

Ive read that metal polish like Brasso and plenty of elbow grease will remove scratches. Despite also suffereing from faded scratched sidescreen perspex I must admit I have not tried it (elbow grease sounds like hard work).

Most DIY stores will sell clear perspex in various thinknesses that can be cut to size/shape and for a lot less than Moss prices, they may even sell a suitable polish?

Having learnt the hard way and purchased Moss replacement before realising I need to sew the front ones in - anyone with experience of doing this? If so can you please advise the best way of removing the old one?type of needle, do holes need to be pre drilled in the perspex/cobex ??

My current solution is to don water proofs and get wet!

Last year I bought perspex in a DIY shop, cutted it to shape and glued the 2 windows in place. , watertight and although you will not win a concours, the result is acceptable (to me).
Guest PhilipP

John-skinner works out slightly more expensive for the perspex, but cheaper for whole sidecreens. Interestingly there is a 'refurb kit' which seems to consist of the perspex, runners and pre-sewn PVC. Heaven knows how you'd get it together. But the refurb kit is £140 (for both), so again rather excessive, when all i really want is to remove some scratches from the perspex!

I might see if I can get the £40 'hindsight people to agree to a 'return if not satisfied' deal. I'll send them a photo in advance and see if they think their product will clean it up. £40 would be a lot for something that doesn't work.

Else, Rudi, if I'm not infringing your copyright I'll probably try the same!

Guest PhilipP

Oh, Duncan, by the way, I tried the brasso ... I now feel a lot stronger, but hasn't removed any scratches, no worse though!

I think getting the old ones out wouldn't be too difficult, I'd undo the stitching on the fixed piece, fold open the flaps, and then I think the perspex would slide out. The problems then would begin as you say, how do you sew the new perspex to the PVC? The only thing I can think of is (suggested by my better half!):

put in the new perspex

fold back over the pvc flaps

drill holes every 1cm or so through both the PVC and perspex (very carefully I'd imagine)

sew up (she's offered to do this bit!)

... let me know how you get on:)