Saffy's gearbox is out tomorrow....

Very clean looking floor Andrew. Is Pete going to add an overdrive ?

Stan

No Stan, it's been without one for nearly 45 years and that's how it left the factory and whilst I did consider it I decided against it for that reason.

Yes, the floor is very clean and rust free, so is the boot floor and pretty much everywhere else too.

Hi George....hope it wont be out too long....TR weather seems to be here.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Conrad,

Out tomorrow and off the Pete's on Monday morning and he aims to have it back to me by Saturday - I'm taking a donor original second gear just in case, but it's still in TuRK's old non-OD gearbox!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Do you think the gearknob is original. Thought they had the gate patern embossed on them?

Cheers

Tim

Do you think the gearknob is original. Thought they had the gate patern embossed on them?

Cheers

Tim

I believe the early TR6 gear knobs were the same as the TR5, as per Andrew's, and later ones had the numbers and selection embossed.

My 1970 one is anyway, not that the car is that original. !

Cheers,

Tom is right.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

a little bit late now but last year I had to remove the GB form the 4A having only fitted a week before :angry:

I didn't need to lift it out the car but what I did would help for this as well.

Using 3" square wood fence posts I made a wall either side of the GB sitting on the floor panel - apprxc 18" long x 9" high (there is apprx 15" of room under the dash.

The wooden wall support a 2" diameter scaffold pole that was allowed to roll along the wooden wall.

The GB had a serious luggage strap around it and the scaffold pole.

release the back and front of the GB. Remove the handbrake.

Using leavers, the GB is raised and then held by the luggage straps.

When high enough the GB can be rolled backwards until it is easy to lift out

Annoyingly I didn;t take a pic of the contraption. I only needed to get my hands inside the bell housing so pushing back 4" was easy.

Fittingis the reverse and is so easy as the strap is taking the strain.

Roger

Andrew

The bracket that the h frame attaches to under the switch plinth, is something that was missing from mine along with the frame .

How does this bracket attach behind the plinth

Thanks Mark

Mark,

It's an upside down inverted L shape (not as shown in the Moss catalogue) and two bolts secure it to the underside of the switch plinth. I will post a photo tomorrow when there is a bit more light.

Roger,

Yes, it's already out - my version of the above is get a mate to help do the lifting...................the lifting device then packs away out of sight until needed to put it back in again.

All for the cost of a few beers..........

13120_10204163298777897_5935171122786603

Cheers

Andrew

Was there lots of "Technical terms" used in the removal Andrew or did it come out easily ? Sitting here with a nice glass of Vendenbeld red after a hard day

Cheers

Alan

Was there lots of "Technical terms" used in the removal Andrew or did it come out easily ? Sitting here with a nice glass of Vendenbeld red after a hard day

Cheers

Alan

A few 'technical terms' were used Alan, but on the whole pretty straight forward really, as it doesn't have an overdrive - but I could do with glass of two of Michel's finest red now though!

Cheers

Andrew

Dont think they are - look the same to me apart from the rust on mine so thinking about it, Andrew's cannot be correct as it doesnt have any rust!! FYI mine is a 74.

Actually Sean they are, if you look at yours it has what appears to be two captive nuts on the rear plate and mine doesn't have these, nor any rust.......... :o

Not sure why or whether it makes any difference?

Good spot Stan!

post-12473-0-68360700-1426419740.jpg

11070183_10204167924013525_5038138300207

Cheers

Andrew

I picked up a used h frame it is different to most I have seen , it as two slots aswell as the two fixing holes presume the slots marry up with the captive nuts on Sean's bracket.

Having seen both pics I am thinking about attaching captive bolts on the rear of the frame, so the bolts are not visible from the front.

Mark.

Edited by Mark69

Andrew

Could you do me the honour of measuring the height of your h frame. While you have access to it.

I was just looking at Olazz's rally 4a and realized I have the same h frame as he, bought it thinking it was for a 6.

I know the distance between bolt holes are identical but not sure on the height.

Thanks in anticipation

Mark