Tracing Car History

Posted this in members sites too, but thought here might be more appropriate.

When I bought my first TR6 I had a hell of a job trying to track down any history, and the DVLA was less than helpful. So in annoyance, I created a website http://www.wheresmycar.co.uk where people can register and add a history of the cars they've owned. The idea behind it was if people did this then the next owner could search, see what happened to a car they owned, or see the history of a car they own now.

Obviously it only works if people add the history of cars they've owned, but thinking back to when I got my cars (both the first and the second) I wish someone had done this since knowing the history of a car helps with both the buying process and the 'pleasure factor' of knowing the history of your car and even possibly connecting with the previous owner (optional of course).

Of course it's completely free, your personal information is hidden and encrypted and I just thought it would be nice to help people trace the history of their cars, knowing how much I wished I had had this available when I bought my cars.

Would love to hear about peoples success stories in tracking down history, want to be able to explain to people the euphoric feeling when you find out some cool history.