I intend to fit a comp. roll bar in my TR3A. I know there are several possible options. - Should I go for a bar that is at the front side bolted to the floor or to the inner wings? Should I go for one with or wo a diagonal cross bar? It has to fit under hard and soft top. Apart from road use the car is used in Historic road rallying where there is no strict rule to fit one. What are your experiences with the different designs and suppliers? Can one by directly from Safety devices? Any advise is welcome.

Cheers, Rudi

• 2 weeks later...

I have the wheel arch mounted version, the more you pay the more protection you get.  Look at what is specified for other motorsports.    

At the end of the day its personal choice and your decision based on the likely hood you are going to park shiny side down.

Regards

Dave

Guest GDalzell

Rudi,

I have an old Aley bar which came with my car. It's mounted to the rear wings and to be honest its a bit numb.  Mounting on the floor with the load transferred to the chassis  would be better but it's not easy with the location of the seats and chassis. It's only 740mm wide behind the seats. There is one advantage to the arch design. I've added an extra horizontal member across the rear mounting points. I run the full harness belts over it and it means they pull rearwards rather than crushing you into the seat.

If you look at the weight of the car behind the seats, its fairly light so it doesn't need to be quite as strong as a saloon or heavier car so you might get away with the arch design without the cross brace. I suspect that the problem is not just getting crushed but debris coming through the open roof or soft top. Best to keep it upright

Cheers Graham