Hi Folks,

this morning I geared up to refit the rear screen into my surrey frame (having painted it a lovely shade of black).

I did a trial fit of the rubber seal into the frame and has been mentioned many times before it was seriously not going to fit,

However by pushing the bottom forward corners in as far as they would go and PUSHING the seal onto its locating rib the excess 4" magically disappeared.

Now for the fun!!! having satisfied myself that the rubber can fit I shall now look at the glass and see what further problems are in store.

Roger

When you put the rubber round the glass make sure that the excess is at each front corner.

Stuart.

Stage 2 - TRial rubber on glass

This is the easy bit :wacko: The rubber fits the frame simply transfer rubber from frame to glass.

That's odd the sharp lower corners stick out of the glass like a decent 38DD bra cup :o

Ah ha! rotate the rubber around.

That's odd the silver finishing strip is on the inside of the glass :blink:

Rotate rubber another way - that;s better.. I've now got the bra cups in the right place.

Put some vaseline on the frame rib and see if things may simply pop on - no way :angry:

The glass for where the lower corners fit is too wide by a good 1/2" - would tieing a rope aound the glass and tightening help bring it together - we'll find out!!!

back later with more news.

Roger

Stage 3

With the rubber seal located on the lower rib of the frame the two sides and the lower corners do not line up.

The glass is wider than the frame.

Whilst scratching my head and other bodily parts a little sparkle entered my grey cell and various pennies were heard dropping.

The reason the glass is wider than the frame is that the frame tapers inwards as it rises.

To get the lower edge of the seal to fit requires the glass tilted and thus makes the glass too wide.

My little spark said fit the top first B)

The top can be positioned AND have the vertical edges almost in the right place

So align the top and start pulling string.

I couldn't believe what was happening. The rubber was curling into place almost as though it should do.

Relatively simple once the right approach is taken - Start at the TOP.

The silver finishing strip looked as though it would go into place easily as the gap in the rubber was a decent size.

It went in OK but it appear to have a sort of twist to it and the edges are sitting high on the corners.

I shall leave it in place for a day to see if it relaxes a bit.

I'm quite pleased. The glass is in the right place, the seal looks good, the glass is not broken - result.

Thanks Stuart - the odd word is very encouraging

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Pete,

it is the worry if/when things go wrong. These windows are not cheap.

When I did my new front screen I actually owned it for just under an hour before I broke it. I was fitting it wrong and it didn't like it.

Roger

Well done Roger!

I'm not sure if Vaseline is good for the rubber though. I used Swarfega.

My seal didn't have any excess material, and I was stupid enough to follow the workshop manual instructions and put Seelastik in the groove before fitting the seal to the glass, so I have a gap at each lower corner. I've been meaning to take it out and refit it for about 26 years now...

I think the correct seal is all important!

Simon

Correct which is why you need the extra length. The Moss one works, the others dont.Same with the front.

Stuart.

Hi Folks,

my seal was from Moss as recommended by Stuart.

I was surprised by how well the seal fitted the glass and the frame

I did remove the vaseline before the final fit and used simple washing up liquid/water. If it leaks I'll introduce it to a tube of sealant.

I also had the frame anchored to the bench rather than done insitu - this gave plenty of room to get around whilst standing up.

Roger

When I did my new front screen I actually owned it for just under an hour before I broke it.

Yes but you could have owned the pieces for life :)

I also had the frame anchored to the bench rather than done insitu - this gave plenty of room to get around whilst standing up.

I also think that approach also gives the frame a chance to flex a bit as your fitting, same with the Surrey Rear. The Laminated front screens always seem to break easier than the Toughened.

I always used to take the frames off Spitfires (they are almost identical to the TR one) and never used to have a problem fitting them. On the MK4's the frame became part of the bulkhead, now break just because you thought about fitting it, let alone actually try. On a MK4 I now call the local mobile guy, tell him its cash, he can drop by when it suits, and £25 (plus coffee or wine) later its signed sealed and delivered installed, with no cursing or swearing.

It would be interesting to know in the factory if the glass was fitted to the frame on or off the car.

Hi Pete,

it is the worry if/when things go wrong. These windows are not cheap.

When I did my new front screen I actually owned it for just under an hour before I broke it. I was fitting it wrong and it didn't like it.

Roger

I am so glad that I went to the hairdressers for the afternoon. I couldn't bear a repeat performance of last time. If it had all gone wrong it would, of course, have been my fault.

Roger you stuffy Git, have you got the finisher in there?

My new windscreen will be painted this week, I have the new Moss rubber ready, and a plastic plus the original alloy finisher, all in hand too, to fit when I bolt it back in.

I believe you can get a bus to Manchester for about £10 on a red eye service, will call on you soon. After all what are friends for, sugar buttes can be provided, or marmite if you want to push the boat out. (Well done)

Hi Pete,

I've not had a sugar butty for about 57 years. Marmite is nice yum yum.

The finisher popped in very easily in as far as it went. There is a slight twist to the finisher which is causing it to sit proud in areas.

If ever you are passing the butties will be there along with the Spanish wood, Liquorice Imps and Lion Ocelot Tiger nuts.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Peter

If you really want Roger to come up to Manchester forget the butties get him a ticket for PNE.s next match. The mans a fanatic.

BobE

and did well this weekend as well, championship next stop??????

and my team went down tonight to the mirth of all in football, what a shower, and welbeck scored the winner, justice rules.

the fortress of old trafford is now the Alamo,

I was fortunate to have seen the good bits and now we all feel like city fans have for 40 years.

Well done Roger.After breaking two laminated screens I sought out and bought a original toughened surrey screen and got my local friendly windscreen fitter to fit it. No problem says he and it was not.

I admired his skills but would not attempt to do it myself although I did assist him.So well done Roger, your a better man than I.

Regards Harry.

Hi Harry,

after a lot of head scratching and trying to do it wrong it all went quite well once the correct method was employed.

I think the answer is fitting the top edge in first, this allows the sides to slide in then the bottom can be teased into place.

The bottom edge looks as though it will never fit. It is a matter of getting the rubber over the frame rib with the string.

If you go for the bottom edge first then the sides just refuse to play ball.

Just understanding how the rubber sits onthe glass is mind boggling.

Roger

The finale,

This morning I had to fit the seal that goes between the frame and the body - dead easy!! :o

I tried fitting it with the frame in place but raised a little - no luck

I took the frame off, fitted the seal, taped in place, refitted and thus started the fiddling.

It took ages to fit that simple seal.

At both front ends the lower inner edge the seal has nowhere to go, as the frame outer edge is very close to the side of the forward tonneau panel, so a little bit of trimming was/is required.

Anyway after a while it was all together and looked pretty good.

My next challenge at some stage are the wings. The front nearside got a bit damaged last year when the lower wish bone bracket stud snapped - so that needs tidying up and painting. The the rear wings.

When will it end.

Roger

I couldn't live with the standard backlight seal so I used the seal from Woolies as recommended by Stuart. It holds itself in place which is a major boon.

Hi Pete,

when I first installed the surrey frame in the late 90's the Moss seal was nowhere near good enough to fit so I used a Revington one that worked well.

Today I used a Moss seal and it was identical to the old Revington seal.

I can't remember it being a pig first time round though.

Roger