TR6 - Origibnal/Factory - Ride Height and springs spécifications

Just as an aside - for original Rolls Royce standard ride height front coil springs of a Silver Shadow 1 ....

Priced at a mere £513.00 each - Bargain.

however

Original Uprated heavy duty are a fraction of that price at £186.00

To my mind that says the standard ones have run out of stock and RR had to restock to meet demand and the HD are orig NOS that no one ever buys.

I suspect VAT has to be added too.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 4 years later...

Hi, the ride height on my TR6 looks to high, I have TT4201’s fitted to the front and TT4216 to the rear, centre of wheel to lip is 385mm but a gap of approx 50mm from the top of the tyre to the lip,

doesn’t look good can anyone help, PLEASE

Chris

On 2/7/2007 at 5:17 PM, Straight 6 said:

As this is my first post, "Hallo," to all TR6 owners. I have been running a 6 for three years with a lot of pleasure. :D

I have done a search but the issue of the best road springs does not seem to be resolved. I am about to re-bush the suspension and have been considering replacing the original 68,000 mile springs. However, many posts seem to report problems with non-standard springs and no one seems to be whole heartedly in favour of a particular spec. Even suppliers seem to disagree, some favouring stiffer springs of the same length and others stiffer springs of slightly shorter length!

I personally like the look of the standard TR6 but it certainly does wallow when driven fast even with Konis all round. I'm tempted just to put on a rear anti roll bar and an uprated one at the front and perhaps adjust the camber a fraction and then leave it at that. But - and sorry to go on - does anyone have the ideal lengths and rates for springs for road use? Any help will be gratefully received (and acted on!).

Hi Chris

Saw this whilst trying to fix my electric roller door, no luck there!

measured my tr6 as : 365 mm rear wheel centre to lip 370 front 

car ‘looks right’ to me but is in no way ‘original’ !

4 hours ago, Christopher marlow said:

Hi, thanks for replying, mine just looks wrong and has for a while I just don’t know how to get it down the springs that are on it should be right my only concern is they may be too stiff and won’t compress enough, it also has poly insulators, maybe a smaller one?

chris

Low profile tyres will give a bigger tyre/wheelarch gap. Poly shims are thicker than the original rubber rings, try removing. The gap will decrease more than the shim thickness- guessong 50% more due to t/a geometry. Stiff springs by definition wont compress as much as stock but should still give a normal ground clearance.

Peter

My car measures 42cm front and 40cm rear from wheel centre to top of wheel arch. It looks a bit high but quite normal.

On 3/4/2015 at 3:11 PM, Marc R said:

Good afternoon to the Forum,

On my TR6 PI CP53xxxL, I have a Moss springs set with the fitment recommendation slightly Lower (Front TT4001PR: Fitted Length 6,65, 390 Lbs/in and Rear TT4212PR: Fitted Length 8,85, 420 lbs/in) and the ride height look high compare to the previous set up and unfortunately I do not have anymore the original springs.

On top of we have in France under the Forum and club (Triumph Club de France) other TR4A IRS to TR6 owners who are facing too high ride height with the springs provided by the traditional UK providers.

Accordingly my request is what are the TR6s Standard/ Factory:

1/ - The ride height Front & Rear?

o Center of the wheel to the fender lip wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted)

2/ - The specifications of the spring Front & Rear:

o Spring over all free length in ?

o Spring over all fitted length in ?

o Rate in lbs?

o Number of coils?

o Width/diameter of the Spring?

o Wire thickness/diameter?

Best regards

Hi Marc,

I am surprised that you say that the current springs from the UK give too higher ride height? My experience from owning a TR6 from new is that they were far too soft to start with and went saggy in a very short time, are you sure this has not happen to your car? and when you floored the accelerator the front of the car pointed skywards and you were getting ready for take off! Triumph modified the spring rates at least 4 times due to complaints that I know of! the original springs were only rated at 320 on the rear but I found that 390 on the rear gave the best ride and cut down the banging and crashing when the suspension bottomed. That rated spring lasted 40 years before being replaced with the same.

Bruce.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

I wake up this thread, as on my '69 TR6 CP (ICP265..LP), fitted with not-correct 185/80 15 tyres, I have a ride-height issue: car is too high as you can notice on the attached picture:

SIDE VIEW REAR TOO HIGH AND FRONT MAYBE 20191120_162146.jpg

You can also notice, fitted by a previous owner, the Twin box exhaust system, closer to ground than the original crossbox configuration... That may be the reason why he tried to maximize the rear ride height :-DD
Measurements from wheel-centre to top of wheel arch give:

Front L 37.8cm (14.5")           Front R 38.3cm (15")

Rear L 40.5cm (16")                Rear R 41.5cm (16.1")

The rear notched brackets are fitted correctly for an early TR6. Here's a picture of the rear spring, green & white marks, so not really correct for an early car? if referring to Bruce's post from March, 10th 2015. Reference is written on the spring: GSV1001. I find on the Web it corresponds to 354lb/in, 11.5" long (free length I guess).

You can also see the pads between chassis and body on this last picture, but my concern seems to be the springs as the rear wheel has positive camber :-/ see attached picture:

PS: as other members who posted on the forum, I have positive camber at rear left but not at rear right! ...

I am writting here because I know I have to change, but I don't know what to change exactly. If I change the rear springs, I may have to change the front ones, but which reference?...
1/ One thing for sure, I will change the tyres to 165/80 15 or 185/70 15 very soon.
2/ Then I want to change the springs, but I have to be careful with the low twin box exhaust (changed later I think).

I would like your ideas as I guess some of you may have experienced the same situation. I could go with the configuration that Marc chose for his car, but I would like your feedbacks after seeing those pictures :-) I had a first suggestion, that maybe the rear springs don't sit correctly in the trailing arms.

My CF car seems to have its original springs: stripes are white or grey in front. Rear ones have white and green or blue stripes. That car ride-height looks good, and  the front seems softer than my CP car.

Hi 

I have a CR model & the white/green stripe is the original spring for that car. The GSV1000 have a red mark. See link below. I changed mine from green/white to GSV1000. The picture shows how mine looks with GSV, lever arms & 165/80 tyres. I'll measure height tomorrow if you wish.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/69797-rear-suspension-springs/&tab=comments#comment-627034

Regards

Alan

IMG_4335.jpg

14 minutes ago, super6al said:

Hi 

I have a CR model & the white/green stripe is the original spring for that car. The GSV1000 have a red mark. See link below. I changed mine from green/white to GSV1000. The picture shows how mine looks with GSV, lever arms & 165/80 tyres. I'll measure height tomorrow if you wish.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/69797-rear-suspension-springs/&tab=comments#comment-627034

Regards

Alan

IMG_4335.jpg

Hi Alan! Thanks for your answer, would be glad to learn what your measurement is. No emergency ;-) Poly springs seats also for you, as on my previous picture? 

William 

Hi William

These are my measurements. 

Front L    39.1              Front R     40.1

Rear L     39.1              Rear R     39.6

These are taken from the centre of the wheel to the wheelarch.

I am using Poly spring seats on the rear & Poly bushes in the TA. The fuel tank is about 30% full & theres no other weight except for the spare wheel.

On the link I posted Peter Cobbold calculated the GSV spring are slightly softer (13%) than the green/white strip ones. That might account for some difference & my rear suspension has only done about 200 mile since rebuild so I would expected to sag a little more after more miles.

One caution about the Front readings is the front suspension hasn't been refurbished yet, so I would expect it to raise slightly when I do this. 

If you need any more information just let me know.

Alan

32 minutes ago, super6al said:

Hi William

These are my measurements. 

Front L    39.1              Front R     40.1

Rear L     39.1              Rear R     39.6

These are taken from the centre of the wheel to the wheelarch.

I am using Poly spring seats on the rear & Poly bushes in the TA. The fuel tank is about 30% full & theres no other weight except for the spare wheel.

On the link I posted Peter Cobbold calculated the GSV spring are slightly softer (13%) than the green/white strip ones. That might account for some difference & my rear suspension has only done about 200 mile since rebuild so I would expected to sag a little more after more miles.

One caution about the Front readings is the front suspension hasn't been refurbished yet, so I would expect it to raise slightly when I do this. 

If you need any more information just let me know.

Alan

Hi Alan, Thanks! Yes I have read the thread that you put in link previously. By the way, what do you have as front springs? William

On 3/13/2015 at 11:15 AM, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Marc

The measurements are:- Front 375mm and the Rear 380mm, but I did have the car up on stands for a few months while I was replacing the main & big end shells etc. and I have not taken her for a spin yet so it will probably settle down a bit.

Hope to take her out in the next week or so and I will re-measure and let you know.

So to sum up, Alan, with your rear green/red springs: 
Front L    39.1              Front R     40.1

Rear L     39.1              Rear R     39.6

With my front red springs and rear green/white:
Front L 37.8cm (14.5")           Front R 38.3cm (15")

Rear L 40.5cm (16")                Rear R 41.5cm (16.1")

Kevo_6 with TT4001PR: Fitted Length 6,65, 390 Lbs/in and Rear TT4212PR: Fitted Length 8,85, 420 lbs/in had:
Front 375mm

Rear 380mm

but he had to settle them down a bit.

On 3/13/2015 at 2:50 PM, Marc R said:

it look like the TR IRS behave better if the Rear ride height is little bit smaller (only few mm) compare to the front ride height. The typical example is the car balance on a round-about under breaking &/or acceleration

And maybe I should also get this point into account :-) any feedback on this? Because with my actual setup, I am completely at the opposite of this! I mean much lower at front compared to rear, at least with the wheel arch lip/wheel centre measurement.

William

Hi William

I'm not sure what my current front springs are - I believe they are standard (I think they are original the same as the rears were) but will have a look again tomorrow. 

I have bought new springs, dampers & poly bushes to fit this year.

Maybe you have lowered front springs?

Alan

Just read your comment about rear camber - interestingly,  mine also has more negative camber on the right. I also had more toe in on that side which I have corrected with shims. I haven't tried to alter the camber until I have driven more miles to 'settle' the suspension.  Both sides have the standard brackets as originally fitted.

20 minutes ago, super6al said:

Hi William

I'm not sure what my current front springs are - I believe they are standard (I think they are original the same as the rears were) but will have a look again tomorrow. 

I have bought new springs, dampers & poly bushes to fit this year.

Maybe you have lowered front springs?

Alan

Hi Alan, yes definitely, it seems to be lowered front springs. However ref. TT4001 PR (390lbs) from Kevo_6 also gives a low front. Thanks for looking at your actual front springs :-) The new front ones you will fit, what are their colour codes if any?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, super6al said:

Just read your comment about rear camber - interestingly,  mine also has more negative camber on the right. I also had more toe in on that side which I have corrected with shims. I haven't tried to alter the camber until I have driven more miles to 'settle' the suspension.  Both sides have the standard brackets as originally fitted.

From what I understand many parameters can interfere in this right/left difference. I had more toe in on the left when measurements were made.

Hi William

I had a look my front springs today but I can't see any markings as the springs are covered in rust. I can't say for definite but believe they are standard as the general appearance suggest they are original. For example the bushes are old cracked rubber, the dampers are standard & the rear was original when I overhauled it.

Sorry I can't be any more specific.

Alan