TR6 - Origibnal/Factory - Ride Height and springs spécifications

Good afternoon to the Forum,

On my TR6 PI CP53xxxL, I have a Moss springs set with the fitment recommendation slightly Lower (Front TT4001PR: Fitted Length 6,65, 390 Lbs/in and Rear TT4212PR: Fitted Length 8,85, 420 lbs/in) and the ride height look high compare to the previous set up and unfortunately I do not have anymore the original springs.

On top of we have in France under the Forum and club (Triumph Club de France) other TR4A IRS to TR6 owners who are facing too high ride height with the springs provided by the traditional UK providers.

Accordingly my request is what are the TR6s Standard/ Factory:

1/ - The ride height Front & Rear?

o Center of the wheel to the fender lip wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted)

2/ - The specifications of the spring Front & Rear:

o Spring over all free length in ?

o Spring over all fitted length in ?

o Rate in lbs?

o Number of coils?

o Width/diameter of the Spring?

o Wire thickness/diameter?

Best regards

Edited by Marc R

Good afternoon to the Forum,

On my TR6 PI CP53xxxL, I have a Moss springs set with the fitment recommendation slightly Lower (Front TT4001PR: Fitted Length 6,65, 390 Lbs/in and Rear TT4212PR: Fitted Length 8,85, 420 lbs/in) and the ride height look high compare to the previous set up and unfortunately I do not have anymore the original springs.

On top of we have in France under the Forum and club (Triumph Club de France) other TR4A IRS to TR6 owners who are facing too high ride height with the springs provided by the traditional UK providers.

Accordingly my request is what are the TR6s Standard/ Factory:

1/ - The ride height Front & Rear?

o Center of the wheel to the fender lip wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted)

2/ - The specifications of the spring Front & Rear:

o Spring over all free length in ?

o Spring over all fitted length in ?

o Rate in lbs?

o Number of coils?

o Width/diameter of the Spring?

o Wire thickness/diameter?

Best regards

Hi Marc

I have the same springs but bought from the TR Shop. (Boxed up as Classic Gold) There is no issues with ride height as you can see from my picture. Sorry I cant help with any other info.

Edit...

I have just found these measurements but I am unsure if they are correct for standard springs.

Front spring: Free length – 10.03 inches (261mm)

Wire diameter - 0.5 inches

Spring rate – 312 lb in

Number of working coils – 5 ¼

Rear spring: Free length – 10.92 inches (278mm)

Spring rate – 349 lb in

Number of working coils – 6 ¾

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi Bill, Thank's for the experience and feedback

Hi Kevo_6, interesting figures thanks' a lot, did you have the width/diameter of the Springs F&R?

Hi Kiwifrog, I shall provide the measurement .. but in 2 weeks

To all, Fell free to provide your information concerning the Original/Factory Front & Rear Ride height and springs specifications to share and cross check.

Best regards

Hi Bill, Thank's for the experience and feedbackHi Kevo_6, interesting figures thanks' a lot, did you have the width/diameter of the Springs F&R?Hi Kiwifrog, I shall provide the measurement .. but in 2 weeksTo all, Fell free to provide your information concerning the Original/Factory Front & Rear Ride height and springs specifications to share and cross check.Best regards

Marc I have the old ones in the garage but off to France for a few days but I can measure them Sunday and get back to you.

Hi Kevo,

You make my day, this exactly what I am looking for, to locate an original set for reference and measurement. No urgency, take your time.

Best regards

Dear Marc,

You are entering a mine field here, there are so many variables. The standard springs tend to sag especially on the rear. Triumph fitted at least 3 different spring rates on the rear of IRS cars to try to counter this problem and to restrict spring wind up. From experience, to me you have fitted the right springs!!! How old were your old springs? You are not comparing like for like, in my view as new springs will increase the ride height as they are new. All these springs s/b colour coded with 3 colours to identify what they are.

Lastly you should check the trailing arm brackets to make sure that these notched brackets are fitted properly in the right orientation i.e. TR4-5-6 I notch inner and 2 notches outer and late TR6 3 notches inner and 1 notch outer.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks’ for your comments, you are right this is a touchy topic and it is why I try to find the “Original” ride height for a reference. Concerning the spring set, I agree w/ you the set I have is the right combination/compromise and I shall wait until I finish the reconstruction and ride some K miles prior to assess and compare the ride height.

This is why am interested by the measurements (His springs Original set and the current ride height with the slightly lower spring set on his TR6) from Kevo

For the trailing arm brackets, I shall double check again for a TR6 PI comm. CP53xxxL with 3 notches inner & 1 notch outer.

Best regards and for all on the forum have nice WE w/ your TR6… In France the WE is very nice and I already make 150km this morning with the Stag.

Hi Kevo,You make my day, this exactly what I am looking for, to locate an original set for reference and measurement. No urgency, take your time.Best regards

Hi Marc

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but these are the sizes of my old springs:

Front spring: Free length 10.03 inches (261mm)

Spring diameter - 4 inches (100mm)

Number of working coils 5 ¼ with grey paint markings

Rear spring: Free length 11.50 inches (292.1mm)

Spring diameter - 3.74 inches (95mm)

Number of working coils 6 ¾ with green & white paint markings

Don't think that the rears are original but I think the fronts maybe.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Kevo_6

Dear Marc & Kevo,

Green & White markings are late TR6 rear springs, spring rate of 354lb/in. From your number plate I think that the originals were 320lb/in type. Sorry but I do not know what the colour code was.

Kevo your front springs should have a grey paint mark? if they are standard?.

Regards,

Bruce.

Dear Marc & Kevo,

Green & White markings are late TR6 rear springs, spring rate of 354lb/in. From your number plate I think that the originals were 320lb/in type. Sorry but I do not know what the colour code was.

Kevo your front springs should have a grey paint mark? if they are standard?.

Regards,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

Yes I should of mentioned that the Front springs had a grey paint mark. I will edit my post, as this may help Marc.

HI Kevo and Bruce,

Thanks' a lot for your information and comments, this will be very useful as a base line

Hi Kevo,

May I ask for a last favor? Could you provide the ride height Front & Rear of the current set of springs (slighly lower / Gold classic from TR shop)on your TR6? Again, no urgency, I am still working on mine.

- Center of the wheel to the fender lip wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted)

Best regards

Hi Marc!

One last point, if you change the tyre size from the original which I think was 70+ aspect to 195/60 or wheel width or both. This will change the ride height. Lastly the springs that Moss supplied you were the modified design/spring rate type that SAH from the 1970's used to supply. So that this mod has been well tried and tested.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks’ again for your comments and sharing your experience.

- In terms of Tyre, I am expecting to use 185/70 R15. I have ride this size since '86 on 2 TR6 and I am very pleased with the combination and on top I am in favor to stay close to the original configuration.

- In terms of ride height vs the tyre size, I agree with you and this is why I am asking the ride height not to the ground but to the center of the wheel in order to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted.

- In term of Spring: What mean the acronym “SHA”?

Best regards

HI Kevo and Bruce,

Thanks' a lot for your information and comments, this will be very useful as a base line

Hi Kevo,

May I ask for a last favor? Could you provide the ride height Front & Rear of the current set of springs (slighly lower / Gold classic from TR shop)on your TR6? Again, no urgency, I am still working on mine.

- Center of the wheel to the fender lip wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted)

Best regards

Hi Marc

I will do the measurements in the next couple of days from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wing lip/wheel arch (to avoid variations due to the tyre fitted). Just for information I am running on Michelin XAS 165X15 tyres on the original wheels.

Hi Kevo,

I really appreciate your support and the extra information who help to define the conditions.

I am used to use a 185/70 - R15 set but I am starting to think about a 165/80 - R15 one. I shall test a TR6 within this combination within the coming months.

Kind regards

- In term of Spring: What mean the acronym “SHA”?

Best regards

Maybe you mean SAH - past supplier fo tuned suspension parts etc.also known as Triumphtune.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the info, yes SAH (not SAH dyslexic!)

Best regards

Hi Marc

British Leyland had their own tuning special division ( Leyland Special Tuning) which when they gave up. A person called Sid Hurrel took over the whole of the Triumph part, hence SAH based in Leighton Buzzard. He was also a Triumph dealer and racer.

They carried on supplying tuning parts and also supplied cars brand new which were already tuned, with full Leyland Warranty. That then became Triumphtune, then part of Moss: as Peter says------

Regards,

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

I know Thriumphtune but I was not aware of the story behind, nice to know.

The incredible thing is, looking at my various bills this evening, I am discovering that the springs set "Slightly Lower" I have for my TR6 under reconstruction is from the stock I have ordered from Moss Europe -Triumphtune in Octorber '93 :)

• Front spring U/R W/B, ref. TT4001: - Front spring, Fast Road, slightly lowererd (6,65'' & 390 lbs vs std 6,75" & 310 lbs)
  • Coil spring G/Y/Y, ref. TT4212PR:- Rear spring, Fast Road, slightly lowererd (8,65" & 420 lbs vs std 9,00" et 350 lbs)

Accordingly, I have the right combination and I should not face any issue.

Best regards

Edited by Marc R

HI Kevo and Bruce,

Hi Kevo,

Best regards

Hi Marc

The measurements are:- Front 375mm and the Rear 380mm, but I did have the car up on stands for a few months while I was replacing the main & big end shells etc. and I have not taken her for a spin yet so it will probably settle down a bit.

Hope to take her out in the next week or so and I will re-measure and let you know.

Thanks' again Kevo and keep me in the loop if you have a variation after a re-measurement maybe not next week but in few K miles.

Note, as per my experience and information shared with other owners, it look like the TR IRS behave better if the Rear ride height is little bit smaller (only few mm) compare to the front ride height. The typical example is the car balance on a round-about under breaking &/or acceleration.

Is this something other TR 4A IRS to 6 owns can experience/comment?

Regards

Edited by Marc R