Hi all,

Has anyone done a head gasket on a sprint engine recently, if so can you let me know if the head studs should be replaced and what if any problems I should look out for?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil, I recently took a head of a 7 2ltr and had an absolute mare, I snapped studs level with the head and in the end had to replace the butchered head. Ally and steel go together like chips and gravy - not. I know that this isn't the same as a sprint but similar. Heat use was good but difficult to apply. I welded the nuts to the studs and this helped on some of them but others just snapped. Sorry to be gloom and doom but I hope you have better luck than I did. Andy

Hi Andy, I decided to let the garage do the head, and then found out that a sprint engine does not face the stud problem assocciated with the 8 valve engine as they are within the rocker box therefore shielded from the weather as they are splashed with oil.

cheers

Phil

Ah hopefully you can change it easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just an update on my head gasket woes. As is usual it was not as simple as that, the head was severely corroded around some of the water jackets ,almost touching the combustion chamber bowls, Headmasters at Doncaster are refurbishing it and recommended new valves as the original ones had been ground so deep into the seats that a previous owner/ repairer took an angle grinder to the top of them in order to facilitate valve timing!! They also put the corrosion down to incorrect antifreeze/water ratio, and suggested 60/40 in future.

The rub is I was at the Triumph/MG spares do at Stoneleigh and saw a 16 valve head for sale which I was about to buy for £65 but when I got back to the stall I saw it being put into a plastic bag.The valves and guides cost £193 from Rimmers , a set of valves guides springs stem oil seals and followers cost £190. This is going to be a very expensive head gasket job.

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes I know the feeling all too well.