Lidl Oil Extraction Pump, Sunday 22nd February

At that price I will try it.

My GT6 is due an engine oil change now, so I will try it on the engine then pull out the sump plug and see how much oil was left behind. Based on that, I can decide whether to use for engine oil again or just use for diffs without drain plugs, as suggested above.

Nigel

Hello All

A spare fuel pump??????????????????????????????? would make Sixes more Economical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Has to be worth a punt @ 12 spondoolies :D

Has to be better than splitting the rear casing on a diff to do an oil change ;)

I had thought of buying two.

1 A clean one to fill gearboxes.

2 A dirty one to empty used oil from engines and gearboxes.

I have one of the £10 syringes to fill gearboxes but it leaks like a sieve and only takes 500ml.

The general opinion is that to get the oil out an engine with one of these the oil has to be warm to get it at any speed.

This get a great report from others for filling gearboxes and is 1.5 litres but not inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-VS405-Oil-Inspection-Syringe-1-5ltr-Suction-Pump-Extractor-Fluids-etc-/131220525388

I tried one of these pumps today to do an oil change on my GT6. Took the car for a drive first to warm and thin the old 20/50 then tried the pump.

After 10 minutes about a pint of oil had come out, so I gave up and pulled the sump plug. Maybe the pump works with thinner modern engine oils but I estimate it won't pump out a gallon of warm 20/50 in much less than an hour. The instructions say not to run it continuously for more than 30 minutes. There's also the issue of how much old oil remains in the sump when the pump has sucked out as much as it can pick up - but I never reached that point.

So in my experience, it's no good for classic engine oil changes. Maybe it's possible to pump out the smaller volume in a diff but it would have to be warm first. As for filling gearboxes and diffs, I'm sticking with my oil syringe.

Just my experience of course. Not complaining as at the price, it was worth a try.

Nigel

I wouldn't dream of using such a pump to empty sump, gearbox/overdrive or back axle on a TR, since the TR2/3/4 will have a proper drain plug and all the warm oil exits very rapidly, taking with it any rubbish.

I bought one of these pumps specifically to re-fill my rear axle, which has an enlarged capacity thanks to an alloy cover from Racetorations, and also the gearbox/overdrive. Both these jobs are awkward and tedious when using a deformable plastic container - especially the rear axle!

Of course, it's important to get the new oil as warm as possible, so that its viscosity is reduced somewhat.

The pump is very compact, has all the necessary tubing and fittings, and clamps for the battery terminals - I might replace those with a 'cigar lighter' connector. And there are instructions in surprisingly good English - not the usual Chinglish. And a 3-year guarantee.

Not tried it yet, but am optimistic.

Ian Cornish

Whats hard aboot drilling a hole with a drill ,then tapping hole.

can doo it in situ, then this way ye can change yer oil quite easily.

remember, an oil change 1-2 times a year is cheeper than a new diff.

1/2 tops to drill / tap

M

The problem, on small chassis Triumphs like yours and mine, Marcus, is that the drain plug is carefully sited so that the hot oil spurts out all over the chassis rail, and runs back under the gearbox cover all over the floor. I know this is part of Triumph's genius level anticorrosion system, and I don't know if TRs have this advantage.

A solution is in the pic below. A piece of cardboard, folded to lie on top of the rail, and with the edges folded up to stop the oil splashing sideways, guides it down and into the bucket/pan/ pool of used oil on the floor because I forgot. Make it from any sort of cardboard or thick paper and throw it away afterwards.

Oh, well you will have to do without the pic - "Uploading is not allowed" even though it's only 46kB in size.

Hope you get the idea.

John

For any one woe bought one, read the Destructions first,!! yes, destructions,

frae CT site

I bought an oil/diesel transfer pump from Lidl last week, I thought it would be a nice clean way to put oil in diff/gearbox.
How wrong can you be?

What I didn't spot until after this morning's "incident" was that it says "not suitable for gear oil".... oh boy is it right about that.
I was using it to put EP90 in the Spitfire diff.... it stopped.... then the insulation on the cables melted/burned!
Oooops.
Well at least it was only about 12 quid for the pump!

and

the Lidl type too as I heard they only pump 0.2 litres a minute, so that would take nearly half an hour to empty your sump, much quicker to just remove the sump plug. undecided.png

So, whos, blown theirs up yet,!!!

M

Edited by GT6M

Lazy beggars.

If there is a drain plug why use the pump.

Where there isn't one the pump is a godsend.

I have an emanuel one for the 4A diff. (Empty in about 2 slurps.)

Sounds better than the electric one, going on the above reports.

Only time this is worth considering is on a boat where the access is limited to get under the engine and also onboard fuel transfer. Deisel only?

personally I like to guddle about in the porrige that comes out and see what bits I find.

Edited by Rodbr