HELLO ALL,

I am having a major problem in getting the w/screen frame to fit on a TR5 I am restoring. On fitment of the frame to the bulkhead & fitting new door windows the gap when the windows are wound up is 3/4

inch at the bottom of frame between the glass & there is no gap at the top, in fact the glass is catching the frame.

Could it be that the glasses are repros & not shaped correctly. No amount of adjustment of the frame position makes any difference.

Any help to resolve this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

if you are fitting the original glass then you need to ensure the windscreen frame is at the correct angle. Are both door glasses the same?

There is a very small amount of adjustment on the regulator - the centre pivot bolt can move up/down and this can vary the tilt on the glass (well it does on a 4A :P )

is the glass sitting in the bottom channel on the regulator.

Do the windows go high enough when fully up?

Are the doors in the correct place? - ie all the gaps sorted.

The bottom of the 4A glass has a different angle on it to the 5/6.

I have a similar problem but only on the drivers side and the gap which is big is the same all the way up. :wacko::wacko:

Roger

Hello All,

Thanks for your feedback, a few things I. have checked are that the new w/ glasses are identical shape to the originals & the regulators are originals. But unforunately some family matters have stopped me looking further at the moment. I will keep you informed when I can get back into my garage.

By the way Neil there is only one area that I am short & I bet you can't guess where it is.

Cheers

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am back after sorting out a few other unrelated TR matters out & the weather is gradually getting warmer.

On having had long looks at the w/s frame fitting & chatting to other TR owners, one owner suggested that I insert a thin wedge between the frame & the bulkhead to get the frame to sit more upright which I did & the frame/glass gaps were more equal. But inspecting the frame more closely I discovered that the rubber seal that fits between the frame & the bulkhead wasn't situated correctly & it wasn't allowing the frame to sit squarely on the bulkhead, I lifted the frame out & repositioned & glued this seal in the correct position & job done the gaps are if I say myself are very equal.

On reflection I wonder if its since I became a member of the ( old farts ) club that brain is centered on only one thing but I can't even remember what that is, perhaps Neil can enlighten me.

Cheers

Peter

PS Thanks for all your suggestions

Great stuff Pete, another step further to getting your TR250 into your shed....the storage fees are mounting up !

And i wont answer your final Question, i am sure the good gentlemen of the forum will be lining up to answer...

On a serious note.....good job !

Conrad.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I am back after sorting out a few other unrelated TR matters out & the weather is gradually getting warmer.

On having had long looks at the w/s frame fitting & chatting to other TR owners, one owner suggested that I insert a thin wedge between the frame & the bulkhead to get the frame to sit more upright which I did & the frame/glass gaps were more equal. But inspecting the frame more closely I discovered that the rubber seal that fits between the frame & the bulkhead wasn't situated correctly & it wasn't allowing the frame to sit squarely on the bulkhead, I lifted the frame out & repositioned & glued this seal in the correct position & job done the gaps are if I say myself are very equal.

On reflection I wonder if its since I became a member of the ( old farts ) club that brain is centered on only one thing but I can't even remember what that is, perhaps Neil can enlighten me.

Cheers

Peter

PS Thanks for all your suggestions

Peter seems to have solved the problem, having much the same problem on my car,i.e., small gap at the top of the door window glass and a larger 3/4" one at the bottom, I removed the screen and noticed that the holes that the screen stanchions enter were "peened over" towards the front of the hole, I removed this with a rotary file.

I also noticed the brackets were not sliding fully onto the stanchions due to paint excess, cleaning these brackets and getting the top of the holes flat then allowed the screen to sit down at the front as it should.

The gap at the top of the door is Much better on the drivers side and Parallel on the passenger side, which leads me to believe that 40+ years of people heaving themselves in and out of the car by the screen has "bent" the screen stanchion slightly.

After all if the door is level with the tops of the front and rear wings AND the gap between the sill and the bottom of the door is uniform, it has to be the screen or the door glass.

Something strange though on my car, I fitted TR6 furflex rubber door seals, just like I did on my 250, on which the doors were a sod to close, but the doors close easily on the TR4, can't think why.