'H' frame restoration

Hi Jim,

I used one of the TR Shop moulded covers and in my opinion these are superior than those available from other suppliers, the fit is better, the cover edges have pre-cut slits with small holes to stop the cut running when you fold the excess material over and the hole for the gear lever is also pre-cut. I had a couple of bad experiences trying to fit the moulded covers from other suppliers before finding the TR Shop one. Get some bulldog type clips and impact adhesive and use the bulldog clips over some card to secure the folded over edges and to avoid marking the cover material. If you take your time it's not too bad a job with this kit. Here is a photo of mine during the process.

post-12810-0-09396100-1408473181_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim,

I have recently re-trimmed the interior of my CR TR6 using John Skinner materials which were made to order. I personally opted for leather throughout and was extremely pleased with the quality and fit. I decided to use my local trimmer to do the seats and the H-Frame. Feedback from the trimmer was positive in terms of quality and fit which was also encouraging. I suvvessfully managed to finish the rest of the interior myself.

I have attached a picture showing the finished results which may hopefully help you to decide the best route for you and you and your car.

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-54724700-1424345651_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Mike,

The task originally was to replace the clutch, cross-shaft and bearing carrier but like so many TR jobs it kind of grew to a full interior re-trim as well. it was hard work and took a long time last year as I also stripped and re-painted the floors and replaced the transmission tunnel whilst everything was out.I have attached a couple more images if anyone's interested.

The Skinner seat covers are full leather and have the centre perforations to match as close as possible the original factory finish. This is a service that Skinner offer for a nominal additional cost. Each to their own at the end of the day but hopefully personal experience and a finished result may help other TR owners in their decision making process.

Sorry the car isn't red!!

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-91980300-1424423852_thumb.jpg

post-10724-0-41860900-1424423874_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I have emailed John Skinner to get a price although looking at the quality I fear it won't be a low cost option.

Peter, I love the work you have done, especially the duck tape around the rubber gearbox collar, I thought it was just me that had to do that!

Jim

Peter car looks lovely

I have a Skinner interior too and every time I get into it it makes me smile

He provides a great product and is a pleasure to deal with

Really like your idea on the perforated seats - wish I'd thought of it

Well done

Graze

Jim,Graze,

Good luck with Skinners and let us know how you get on. As Graze suggests the cost is worth it for the finished results but that of course is just our personal opinions and we all have budgets to work to. I had many phone calls with Jonathon Skinner who was very helpful and patient which in today's environment is pretty refreshing. The service extends way beyond just supplying parts including if necessary speaking with my trimmer. This is fact wasn't necessary as my trimmer was very happy with the materials provided.

The duck-tape around the gearbox rubber gaitor was he recommended solution provided by TRGB and although not pretty appears to do the job very well. As a point of interest the rubber collar is in fact a TR4 item as I had John Skinner provide a seperate leather gaitor which I then trimmed and bonded to the collar. The TR6 item of course comes fitted with a gaitor already.

All I'm looking for to finish the interior now is an original CR type gear knob which is proving pretty elusive. I have attached an image of an original gear knob on a restoration car. Should anyone have a decent one in their garage they're willing to sell me I would be delighted to hear from them.

Best Regards, Peter

post-10724-0-81523300-1424426487_thumb.jpg

No offence to anyone, but I REALLY don't like the Skinner style stitched type cover; they always turn me off a car that have them fitted. Just doesn't look right with the rest of the dash; stands out too much as different from everything else IMHO.

• 5 years later...

I just removed the worn original and then rubbed the metal down and covered it with crackle paint..

looks great. 

Tim

Hi Mark,

this looks very nice. Did you remove all the original PU foam?

Reason I ask is I installed my vinyl cover    after removing all foam and installing new 3mm foam. It does not look so nice.

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

The h frame was one of the items missing when I bought the car, when I got this one it was already stripped.

The leather was glued to the legs and radio section direct , only used foam on the bulbous section  leaving strips out where the stitching would sit in.

Mark.

Edited by Mark69