Wing Mirrors and rocker cover

Hello TRoopers! I am getting to grips now with my new acquisition! Loving every minute of course!! I would like to fit wing mirrors. Is there a "proper" design for these, and where is the best place to fit them? i have seen racing types fitted to front of wings, flat plate types fitted to windscreen. I guess I may have answered my own question, and I am expecting as many different answers as I get replies!! However advice much appreciated. Secondly rocker cover. Mine has the oil filler at the rear, I have seen many pics with it at the front? Is either acceptable? I can't see why not? Once again I would love to hear from. you afficionados!

Cheers. John

Hello John,

First, wecome to this fine forum! And great to see that you're into TRs as well. (Pics are highly appreciated. Just start a Photobucket account and use that for uploading pics. That way you can upload as many as you like and you don't have to take the limited forum space in account.

Wing mirrors are period correct, but I've found them annoying: when walking along my car in my narrow spaced garage, I always knocked the mirrors out of position. And when working under the bonnet, these wing mirrors are always in your way. Better try to figure out how to install them on the stem of the window. I'm more than happy to send you some pics for inspiration.

Re the rocker cover: both are used by Triumph. It has to do with you chassis#.

Menno

You may well find that with a rear fill rocker cover that its fitted with a TR4 or 4a engine, check its engine number to be sure.

Stuart.

I have period Tex straight arm wing mirrors fitted. These are spring loaded and will realign if accidentally bumped.

Also, as in Menno's case if you have restricted width in your garage Tex mirrors can be turned inwards at 90 degrees.

This type of mirror should be fitted in line with the centre of the front wheels.

In my opinion 'racing' mirrors do not look right on a sidescreen car.

Tom.

Hi John, I prefer the mirror fitted to the stanchion, I have used this fitted with just one slightly longer than standard stanchion screw for many years and it hasn't moved, wing mirrors IMHO spoil the wing line. Just make sure there is enough clearance to open the door with the sidescreen in place. Cheers Bill.

post-917-0-68797800-1423931623_thumb.jpg

post-917-0-07469400-1423933335_thumb.jpg

Edited by billy l

And passenger side wing mirrors even more useless than drivers side, Specsavers Specs or not, Andrew B)

Stanchion mounted ones work best, although passenger one might need longer arm to get it higher, not further out. I don't think they stick out any further than modern ones when folded, can't see plod making a case out of it either way Alan.

John