New fully charged battery but little response

Despite fitting of 80AH fully charged battery the engine hardly turns over. This was similarly case with worn battery.

Starter motor was serviced last year and new solenoid fitted.

Earth strap to battery replaced and bulk head connection looks clean and good, Negative lead from battery good.

When operating starter ignition lamp dims.

Any thought as to cause of problem appreciated.

Hi

It sounds to me like an engine earth lead problem. I am not sure where it is located on your car, but it will look something like a battery earth strap, and connect between the engine or gearbox, and the chassis/body.

In any event, take it off and clean the connections, use new bolts to refit it. This may be the cause of your problem.

Regards

Kevin

I would check the earth body to frame and frame/chassis to engine worth doubling up on the engine earths and the bolt connection to bell-housing . Clean paint under all contact points

Pinched off the US TR site. Might be worth trying it on a temporary basis to see if it helps.

"I'm a fan of functionality over how the previous owner had things. I
think the best place for a ground strap is between one of the starter
motor mounting bolts and the frame adjacent to that bolt. you want that
starter motor to have the best electrical connections that it can have.

TeriAnn"

Hi Alice,

the earth cable from battery to body needs a clean paint free connection on the body.

The earth cable from the chassis to the engine often gets very mucky - remove and clean the contact faces.

Have you got an earth lead from the battery to the engine - there is usually no earth lead in this position - if you haven't one then fit one.

if the starter was serviced last year then that is probably OK - but did the service consist of.

Roger

Hi Alice

I had starter trouble with my TR2 many years ago. I fitted a new battery and checked all the earth cables to no avail. It turned out that the rubber drive in the starter motor (bomb type) had sheared and was turning the engine by friction only, showing symptoms of a flat battery.

Les

Edited by Les

It could be the rubber "cush" drive in the motor, but you would hear the motor spinning like mad, & in my experience when the rubber goes

the engine won't turn at all.

If you have access to a voltmeter (DVM) then, while spinning the starter, measure the volts across the battery, and then measure volts between battery terminal connected to the solenoid terminal, & somewhere on the engine block. the readings should be the same give or take half a volt or so.

If the readings are more than a few volts different then it is an earthing problem.

If this proves not to be the case, then next test is to measure voltage between the starter motor terminal, & the engine block (while spinning the motor). Again this voltage should be close to that measured across the battery. If so then starter motor is at fault, but if there is a large difference in volts, then suspect the solenoid.

By doing these tests (or similar ones) it should be possible to deduce where the problem lies. Good luck.

Bob.

Bob

When the drive went in my starter there was no "spinning like mad" of the motor. The friction of the cush drive parts still allowed the engine to turn over very slowly, and occasionally start, but could barely get over compression. Even using jump leads made no difference. I fitted a new drive, problem solved and the same motor is still working fine on the car.

Les

If you have a jump lead connect one end to the earth side of the battery, the other to the engine, then give it a whirl, that will rule out an earth problem,if it still no go then it's either the solenoid or starter motor.

Steve

I had a similar problem over christmas, checked all the normal things, earth ,ign switch,starter push,even checked the wires to switch and starter push.

Now the car had worked fine for three years since rebuild but the problem turned out to be no earth between body and solenoid. cleaned the contact service between body and solenoid- problem solved.

Alexander