Having given Percy a thorough service, I seem to have created a problem for myself.

Although it was running well before I began, I now can't get the car to start.

It feels like it wants to start but fires then dies.

When checking the plugs, I noticed the distributor bracket was loose.....I nudged it as I removed plug 3 and it spun around about 45 degrees! :-(

Given this, I am wondering if this is where I should start looking? I've tried to move it back to where I thought it was but I can't be sure. Is there a simple way to get it roughly back to where it should be or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I haven't confirmed all the plugs are sparking but guess I need to do that as a matter of course?

Anything else I should be looking at?

As always, thanks in advance!

Steve

As a rule of thumb and a start point try bringing the No.1 piston to TDC,the No1 plug lead outlet from the distributor should be roughly pointing at the No.1 plug,it's always worked for me to get the engine to fire, you then have to fine tune the distributor until the engine will run and then time it properly. I must admit though I have never had to do it on my "6" but it has always worked on other cars.

Get the engine to 10 deg BTDC on the compression stroke, a thumb over the plug hole will tell you when it starts the compression stroke. Watch the timing mark on the pulley as you turn and line it up to about 10 deg before TDC with the pointer on the timing cover. Take off the distributor cap and swing the distributor so that the points are just opening, use a meter or a test lamp, with the rotor arm pointing at where the number one plug lead would be if the cap was still on. Make sure you time the distributor on the leading edge of the points cap, it turns anticlockwise iirc. Tighten the clamp, cap and rotor arm in and off you go. Probably best to the fine tune the timing with a strobe.

Hi Steve,

can't help with the timing but when the dizzy rotated could it have pulled any wires off anywhere - externally/internally

Roger

I will have a good look Roger, but I did actually get the car to start and run for a few seconds at one point, which s why I'm thinking plugs/timing......though what I know about this stuff could be written on the back of a postage stamp!

Steve

As a rule of thumb and a start point try bringing the No.1 piston to TDC,the No1 plug lead outlet from the distributor should be roughly pointing at the No.1 plug,it's always worked for me to get the engine to fire, you then have to fine tune the distributor until the engine will run and then time it properly. I must admit though I have never had to do it on my "6" but it has always worked on other cars.

Thanks Clive - followed your instructions, opened the choke fully and it started first time! I'll have a proper go at it tomorrow when I can open the garage door!

Steve

That's good news,As Pete says above you will need to time it with a strobe lamp for fine tuning now,as to the timing marks to use will be dependant on your engines state of tune.