The classic car show

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.. I watched that too...Unctuous Cloying and Sleazy, best I can come up with.. Alex Riley came over as really quite natural and believable but unfortunately I feel that the Quentin Willson form of commentary and description died with Alvar Liddel. He reminded me of either of the 2 sleazy car salesmen who convince Ian Carmichael to buy a Swiftmobile in School for Scandal ( that dates me!) Dunston and Dudley I think they were called. I see what they are trying to do...sort of make a TV version of "Octane" magazine...missed the target I feel. I'll give it another go though it might have been first epidode jitters??

How could Quentin Wilson make such a dreadful programme. I am interested in all motoring topics even when they are not very exciting, but he absolutely ruined it.

I do not like top gear much either. QW must retire soon ! :(

Wilson's style took a bit of a hammering in this thread, too: http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/50482-new-tv-prog/

Yes.. I watched that too...Unctuous Cloying and Sleazy, best I can come up with.. Alex Riley came over as really quite natural and believable but unfortunately I feel that the Quentin Willson form of commentary and description died with Alvar Liddel. He reminded me of either of the 2 sleazy car salesmen who convince Ian Carmichael to buy a Swiftmobile in School for Scandal ( that dates me!) Dunston and Dudley I think they were called. I see what they are trying to do...sort of make a TV version of "Octane" magazine...missed the target I feel. I'll give it another go though it might have been first epidode jitters??

Loved School for Scoundrals. Here's Henry getting his own back . . .

Can I watch the second episode of the 'classic car show' ?

I cannot believe the words he used about the TR7 on a supposedly serious tv show. This was heavily promoted before hand and when I found out a TR7 was to appear on the first episode I thought brilliant, can't wait but oh no the TR7's the whipping boy again. I did contact the programme to ask why he was inaccurate and misinformed and asked why he was such a smug twat throughout.

I have since found out many others feel the same

Cripes, didnt realise he was young..... :ph34r: , oops, hey but Neil is a looker, ok joking apart cant agree more, what with top gear and now this , cant they find someone a bit more normal. I must say I thought his TR7 comments totally OTT, I assume hes trying to get attention like Mr Clarkson.

• 3 weeks later...

It just goes to show that even after 40 years the TR7's reputation is still considered as bad! Well I've been a TR7 owner for about 30 years having 3 TR7's 1st a 4 speed coupe and 2 x convertibles. I still have my 3rd convertible.

I've toured the whole of France in one (V8 Grinnall, yes I spent al load of cash with him, and he didn't do the whole job as prescribed, but I was young and took people at face value!) without ANY issue. The best ever was blipping through the tunnel under Hotel du Paris in Monaco! Shame there were no mobile phones or gopros then!

I just love my current 7 have had it for 8 years now, it's as it left the factory except for K&N's. Tarted the top end up with chrome and polished parts, it was zeebarted from new on a 'W' reg 1980. The original buyer/owner would now be 105 years old! I have the purchase receipt and am the 4th owner! Car has approx 73K on it.

I only drive it the summer months and it ALWAYS turns heads and make people come over to enquire about it.

People need to realise that the later Canley built models were more reliable than the original coupes but I get tired of explaining all the time :)

I'll never get rid of mine, I want to be buried in it lol.

My son asked me how I felt driving it compared to my high performance Vauxhall (Astra GTC VXR). I said it was like driving the starship enterprise, then getting into a 16th century sailing galleon! They both make me smile a lot and when the sun is shining the 7 will win always!

Meant to say also that I was utterly shocked at how badly he described the 7. Everyone has an opinion, but his comments should have been left in private. I consider his stance on it as unprofessional and not conducive to what the show is about. Any car with history surely deserves to have it's finer points highlighted as well as the bad. Self opininiated snob!

Edited by clymout