Ballast resistor

My '80 TR7 DHC 8v currently has some sort of bizarre electronic ignition amplifier fitted retaining the points and condenser. I am upgrading to a Newtronic ignition. I need to check whether I have  a ballast resistor. I understand that a test with a volt meter will tell me of it's presence (12v engine off, 9.5 cranking, 6 volt engine running - measured at the coil I think) but if that proved its presence where do I find the pesky thing.

Yours

(bored of looking for something that I wouldn't recognise if I found it) Morph :)

Tom, it depends where the supply for the unit is getting it's power from.   If it's from the supply to the coil and there is a ballast resistor in the supply, the voltage will be lowered; if it's on a switched supply from a relay or the ignition switch it shouldn't be reduced.

I wonder how long it would of taken me to realise the voltage differance otherwise, I expected a ballest resistor to be next to the coil, couldn't see one, so assumed there wasn't one, Well I now have another wire neatly soldered into the switched ignition, and it still works, surprising thing is the engine seems no different idling, wonder what it'll be like when I take it for a run, Ill let everyone know tomorrow, as I'm off to Brunel TR's :)

Tom