Fuel pump or sack of strangled cats in the boot?

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I was hoping to clarify what is going on behind my left ear.

My '69 FI 6 has been run sporadically over the last few years due to the fact I've been posted overseas repeatedly. About a year ago the Lucas fuel pump did its strangled cat impersonation in the boot on a hot Queensland night which I chalked up to cavitation/vapourisation of the fuel. Got it towed home then ran fine for a few months. Lately it has been doing this more and more often. It is worse on hotter days but it is pretty much doing it constantly now to the point where it is undrivable. It's not too hot today but the pump is changing pitch even before the car is warmed up. I have read that this problem has been remedied by moving the pump inferiorly (incerased pressure from the tank) and externally (airflow over the pump to keep cool). I'm not so sure now something like that could work as the problem is constant and occuring on cooler days.

13+V going to the pump and a new fuel filter. I had someone look at it and recommended the entire fuel system (pump, injectors etc) needs replacing. Probably about 20,000+ miles on them.

So before I shoot my wallet, it there any solutions other than new injectors and going Bosch? Or is it just worth it to pay for reliability in hotter temperatures? Am I overlooking anything simple?

Thanks in advance.

Check its getting enough fuel first, is tank outlet clear and fuel filter and pipework free of blockages. Then check prv, it has a small filter in it to ensure its free of debris and then pipework to my clear. There's a filter between flex pipe and mu, so check that too.Despite the noise is the car if its running OK it may just be worn bearing in pump. Its easy to check injectors, remove one at a time and turn engine, should see conical spray. Lots on here how to do. If all else seems OK then your pump may need a rebuild, £75 here with Neil Raven Smith. Be systematic and you should find culprit. From your description worse outcome sounds like a rebuild pump. There's lots on the reliability of the lucaspump on here, generally if its serviced properly and has no blockage or restriction in system they are trouble free. I gave mine mounted on chassis where many locate the Bosch in a saloon bracket so its air cooled when driving and reduces smells noise in boot.

For your interest I feed my Lucas with a Facet pump that enables it to run using 17% less power which mean less heat.

If you car wont run when you hear the noise then it would be good if you could have the fuel pressure checked if not possible then seeing the spray pattern will tell you if your getting fuel.

It maybe as simple as adjusting the screw on top of the pump.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys - it looks like it is crud in the tank. I had to get the car from Brisbane to Toowoomba and it broke down outside of Ipswich on the motroway. I gave the tank a whack above the outlet pipe and it ran trouble free for the next 90kms. I'm going to clean it all out as per Robin's advice and I would think that would sort it.

I've moved to Toowoomba Graze. Drop me a line if you are passing through.

Good news then, change the petrol filter too and check pipework hasn't got and crud too, hopefully you'll sort and be back on the road....reliably.

I had this problem and it turned out to be the inlet pipe collapsing and starving the pump and making a racket. I replaced the inlet and outflow pipes and have been trouble free since. That was after I replaced the Bosch pump as I thought it was shot..... At least I have a spare now!

An idea just in case it is not the "crud".

Peter

Every one above has ignored the fact that the Lucas pump is mounted upright in the TR and that the heavy armature screeches on the brass washer when it's hot (or even cold when it had been too hot previously)

The pump should have been mounted on it's side like in the PI saloons...but it would have taken up more space in the TR trunk! I never understood why Lucas didn't fit a bearing for that application!?

Triumphs answer was the so called 'Continental Cooling Kit' basically a Coil of metal fuel pipe that wraps around the Pumps casing...which does work...see pic...

post-8693-0-80064500-1423910651_thumb.jpg