Bonnet Removal

I wonder if a member or two would be good enough to provide me with some advice? I am planning to remove the bonnet of my 4A to provide better access for work on the timing gear. There appear to be two options; remove the grill and either undo the hinge bolts on the bonnet or alternatively those at the inner wings. Which is easier, and which preferable with respect to getting the bonnet back into the correct position. I intend to mark the current position of the hinges with masking tape to aid re-fitting.

Regarding the replacement of the bonnet, any wrinkles that members use to aid the process would be much appreciated.

Do you have a real name?.

Anyway are you planning to do this alone? its really a two man job.

Either way ;-

1, I would remove the inner wing hinges, I removed the headlamps and bowls and got them that way.

2 You can drill an 1/8th hole through the the middle of the hinge into the inner wing to aid re-alignment, simple then with a drill bit or even a nail, the hole is easily filled afterwards.

3 Not sure you need to do this to get at the timing chain, radiator out should suffice, and you will need to do that anyway.

John.

Make sure you have bits of cloth or cardboard anywhere a migrating bonnet might stray, especially around the scuttle area. Not so critical when removing, essential when replacing. Nothing worse than taking out a divet (or furrow!) of paint during an otherwise non-painty job ....

When lifting off, preferably (by far) with two people, make sure your floor is absolutely clear of every obstacle, and that you have a bit of carpet / card etc on floor where you're going to lean the bonnet.

You may want to consider removing the bonnet catch (the bit on the bonnet) but before refitting the panel. This way you can ensure the bonnet is 'naturally' lying in the right place, and that the latch isn't being used to push pull, or otherwise yank the thing where it's not set up to be. If you do decide to do this, put some bits of thinish rag across the rear corners of the bonnet 'hole', so you've an easy way of opening pre-latch fitting. As a rule, any opening panel should sit naturally, and not be reliant on it's catch for alignment, other than pushing up onto seals of course (doors / boot).

Mask the vicinity of the inner wing mounts with tape while marking the horizontal and vertical positions with same. Loosen one side while your assistant holds it, then the other while you hold it and carefully remove the bonnet by raising one edge over the wing followed by the other. When you refit the bonnet align it with the tape and the fit should duplicate its prior condition.

No need to remove grill or headlight buckets nor detach the hinges ( at least not on my '250s which I've done more times than I care to remember ).

Mask the vicinity of the inner wing mounts with tape while marking the horizontal and vertical positions with same. Loosen one side while your assistant holds it, then the other while you hold it and carefully remove the bonnet by raising one edge over the wing followed by the other. When you refit the bonnet align it with the tape and the fit should duplicate its prior condition.

No need to remove grill or headlight buckets nor detach the hinges ( at least not on my '250s which I've done more times than I care to remember ).

+1 works every time ;)

Hi Horse with no name,

Tom's method is fool proof. However if you really are on your own then the following may help.

With the bonnet up supported on its stay

Remove two of the three screws on both hinges (attaching to bonnet).

Slacken (but do not remove) the third screw so the bonnet has a degree of tilt in it.

Lay a piece of 2"x2" wood across the wings for the bonnet to lay on.

You should no be able to lift the area near the hinge to undo/remove the remaining screws.

Remove the stay.

Standing in front of the bonnet, raise the bonnet (holding onto each side)

Bring the bonnet forwards and rest it on your upper thigh/pelvis area

Tilt the bonnet upwards and wander off into the garage without tripping over.

It is awkward (not hard) but definitely dodgy.

Roger

Gentlemen,

My grateful thanks for your very helpful advice. I an sure that others who face the same task will appreciate the opportunity to exploit your experience.

I did have a helper, but in fact we did not have to remove the bonnet to get the job done. But I knew how to do it should I have had to.

Many thanks.

Gentlemen,

My grateful thanks for your very helpful advice. I an sure that others who face the same task will appreciate the opportunity to exploit your experience.

I did have a helper, but in fact we did not have to remove the bonnet to get the job done. But I knew how to do it should I have had to.

Many thanks.

Helper! I was a mere Serf kept in check with bacon sandwiches and coffee served in a china mug on a tray. I was so not looking forward to taking the bonnet off and fortunately with torches, mirrors and straight edges we didn't need to. And, it was all going so well until the spring pin that secures the tensioner went in orbit never to be seen again, so that means another visit and more bacon sarnies. It's a hard life....