Oil cap decal for TR2/TR3

Some time back I was looking for the Top Hat style oil cap for my 56 TR3. I did find an excellent cap in Australia with most of the decal still intact. I don't want to restore the cap until I can find what's missing from the decal. I found a NOS Standard Vanguard cap on EbayUK a couple weeks ago but did not win the bid. It had a perfect decal with most of the information needed, but it was not the same design, and a bit smaller. I was able to get a good picture of it though. I want to have it reproduced in water slide decal, or silk screen when I determine what type was used. I'm including three photos of what I have found, original cap with decal, NOS Standard Vanguard cap, and a diagram of how I think the original decal was laid out. I know I have some errors in my layout. especially in the center. If anybody has an idea of what I'm missing in the center please post a picture or drawing.

Keith

post-12330-0-94275700-1421685163_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-36130300-1421685187_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-39417800-1421685220_thumb.jpg

I have one of Plan B's TR3 illustrations on my wall, very good and he was very quick getting it out and half way across the globe.

As for my oil cap, it has 'oil' and 'dirt' on it, so the label is irrelevant !

There are desktop ink jet substrates that enable one to make water-slide decals using a home printer. Haven't used any myself yet, but HERE is one example.

Note that the original artwork would have been done with typeset printing -- modern digital printing has character spacing that looks very word-processed compared to original. If Roger will set up some artwork that's an offer I'd take in a second.

Charles Runyan of TRF recently introduced water slide decals for TR3/TR3A air filters, targeting to produce the best available. Here are some of previous decals on the market, and his product. This shows the word processed look of some digital typsetting.

top: modern water slide from UK online seller

middle: old pre-digital TRF pressure sensitive sticker from 80s

bottom: modern ps sticker from Moss, etc.

i-3VFnkwJ-XL.jpg

below: TRF "best" water-slide decal reproduction from 2013

i-CqPDvhn-XL.jpg

original decal -- note traditional typeset look.

i-dQwPhBd-XL.jpg

Here's what my TR3Bs oil filler cap looked like before and after restoration with a water-slide decal, compared to two similar original caps. Many of the originals -- especially into the 60s AFAIK, appear to be marked with screen printing rather that decals.

before

i-wJPkxNV-XL.jpg

after

i-mKkk39R-XL.jpg

original

i-WX8pXVh-XL.jpg

original

i-kLcqGsn-XL.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Hi Keith

That's where I can help. Making these things look like the originals is what I like to do. I research the fonts and match the letter spacing if I can get a reasonable copy (photo). I reckon my comm plates for the early CP cars are very close to the originals (as seen on Andrew's lovely original saffrom TR6).

Let me know if you want me to do anything.

Roger

Hi Keith

That's where I can help. Making these things look like the originals is what I like to do. I research the fonts and match the letter spacing if I can get a reasonable copy (photo). I reckon my comm plates for the early CP cars are very close to the originals (as seen on Andrew's lovely original saffrom TR6).

Let me know if you want me to do anything.

Roger

Hi Roger

They are top notch end of. Thanks to you.