Rover V8 oil pressure take off points

Hi all - I appreciate this is a little "off thread" but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

I'm currently on holiday a long way from home and I'm trying to help a friend who wants to fit a mechanical oil pressure gauge to his 1986 V8 Land rover defender 90 3.5L carb version - trouble is I'm not familiar with this engine and I'm trying to find out where I can take a direct oil pressure feed to the gauge - trouble is the fitting kit for the gauge doesn't have a T piece as otherwise I would fit this where the oil pressure switch is - it only has straight threaded couplings.

Looking from underneath at the area of the oil filter housing, there appear to be two blanking plugs, one on the side and one underneath - I have a feeling the one on the side is the pressure relief valve so no good, but what does the other plug do and is this a possibility for a take off?

Failing this, is there anywhere else I can use such as an oil gallery blanking plug - if so, where are they and are they accessible?

Getting any parts where we are is very limited so something like an a T peice or adapter plate between oil filter and housing is out of the question.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Rich

Richard,

Off playing in the sun again then!

The best place to take the feed from is probably T off from where the oil pressure light screws in - if you want a picture are you on email over there?

Cheers switch

Ian

Ian - hi - yes I'm back in the Caribbean again trying to sort my mates V8 defender , amongst other things - lucky me - I'm on email so you can send me photos whatever - in case you mislaid it, my address is rcreweread@gmail.com

I appreciate the T piece is the way to do it, but I haven't got one and i don't think I can get one - thats why I was looking for an alternative location to take a feed off - underneath the oil filter housing there are two bolt heads/blanking plugs - one I think is the oil pressure release valve ( on the side) but do you know what the one on the very underneath does?

All good fun and thanks for your help

cheers

Richard

Why not just use the gauge instead of the light for the minute until such time as a "T" piece can be shipped over, at least then you will know whats happening, lots of cars have a gauge and no light.

Stuart.

Stuart - thanks for the advice and indeed this is my plan B - plan A for the moment is to go to the beach and enjoy some rum punches!

Mind you, I'm still interested to know what those two blanking plugs/bolt heads do underneath the filter housing!

cheers

Richard

Richard,

Looking at the front of the engine from the radiator, both blanking plugs are for different versions of oil lights / switches etc. Need to uncover my spare engine in the garage and have a good look and see.

Cheers

Ian

If memory serves, I think the one underneath is for priming the oil pump, or at least it can be used for that purpose. The one on the side is deffo the pressure relief valve.

Edited by Ragtag