Handbrake improvers

Fitted a couple to a customers car, they work well!!

If you modify the pivot point on the handbrake itself too it's very good

Tom

In many cases handbrake problems are caused by small indents being created in each of the brake backplates by the pivots on the handbrake levers (which operate within slides in the slave cylinders)

IF the slave cylinder isn't lubriacted enough so that it moves when the handbrake is pulled (and thus allows BOTH shoes to expand) then the pivots on said levers -which connect to the end of the cables- will wear small indents in the backplate leading to non movement of the slave cylinders ands thence poor operation of handbrake.

When you strip down the rear axles, check the insides of each backplate and if grooves are visible, simply weld these up and linish to achieve a smooth surface before you send the backplates of for powder coating or similar.

Alternatively for those who live in the Fens or over in Holland where handbrakes are irrelevant, a simple house brick carried in the boot usually does the trick!!

Have you failed mot on handbrake? I never have :rolleyes:ie look elsewhere

Nope...... ;)

Mark,

Looking at where you live, my answer is YES!!! My TR6 has been traveling to the Fishguard area for the last 40 years and some of the hill I could just hold the car on. But when I fitted the type that extend brake cylinder arms I now have no problems.

Bruce.

There is a difference between passing the MOT and having a handbrake that you are confident will actually work.

I think the MOT requires a braking efficiency of 23% or 24%, this will not hold you on a decent hill.

The ebay backplate lever extenders will increase leverage by 30% or so.

If you move the cable pick-up point on the handbrake lever it self closer to the pivot then you can virtually double the leverage.

However this does mean that there is more travel on the handbrake lever it self. very good adjustment is necessary.

I have both mod's on my 4A and it works very very well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Mark

Fitted a while ago now well worth it great improvement. :):)

Cheers

Mike B)

Mike,

Please tell me where to find these handbrake improvers you fitted.

Wilfried

Have you failed mot on handbrake? I never have :rolleyes:ie look elsewhere

That's fine, but not everyone has the same strength in their arms as the tester. I can well imagine a situation where someone can drive the car perfectly well, but might appreciate a slightly easier time applying the handbrake, especially if parking on a very steep slope. Frankly I rather liked my 4's long fly-offs, and really much less keen on the 6's.

As a driver of a Japanese car, I'm amazed just how much handbrake force it generates for seemingly tiny effort at the lever.

Anyway, good idea.

Mine has a fly off handbrake, something I intend to change in the coming months, may well do some of the suggestions above at the same time. Where does the pivot point need moving to to get greater leverage?

Thanks

Gary

Can someone please explain how being closer to the fulcrum pin increases force, my thinking is the further away the more force due to longer movement.

Feeling a little confused and stupid, most things I can normally get my head round but not this one ,even with Niall's pic.

Mark.

Bit like this.

Got it, great.

Re fulcrum increasing force thing. It's the old turning moments thing, tm = force x distance from fulcrum. So if TM is constant then reducing the distance increases the force. Think about using you pliers to cut through wire rod, the closer the rod is the the fulcrum the more force can be applied. The down side is the other side of the fulcrum has to move further to compensate.