Recommendations

Guest Gealach

Mark,

Could not resist adding a few words.

The Classic Trophy was won by a very standard GT6 that lost its toughened windscreen on the second out of five days. They continued without a screen but did buy some goggles for the night section. Second car was a TR5 also fairly standard.

We have rallied a standard 1300cc Spit for around five years with reasonable success. Sometimes in the top 10 of around 50 starters. You just have to learn about energy conservation and don't get to close to big Healeys that are slow round corners on hills but then blast away leaving you with lost momentum. With a low powered car good handling and suspension qualities are vital and a Spit can be made to handle and stop very well. That rear suspension is nothing like as bad as people think.

Enough from me also, lets hear from Gealach.

John

I think we have scared the poor chap ........

I see that Mark has a car to sell - see the white TR4 with race / rally history in the forum posting on TR4's .

:D

Regarding high speed continental tourers - managed to get from Le Mans to Calais at a "not too shabby" average speed a few years back in a 911 but I guess that doesn't count as it's only got two doors......

.... St. Johann im Pongau (south of Saltzburg) to Ostende (730 miles) in 8 hours 20 minutes with three petrol stops of 20 minutes ... that's an average of exactly 100 mph ... one cold and clear winter Sunday in 1981!! The car? A Datsun 280ZX  :D ... never to be repeated I'm afraid  :( ... and doesn't qualify as a historic rally car either.

I've always (quietly on this forum) fancied a 240Z - another winner in it's period, but again, unsuitable for gealach I suspect....

Guest Gealach

hey guys,

just sitting quietly reading this great thread. Thanks for all of your contributions.

The old " I wouldn't start from here " posts made me smile.......  but it is in part true. However, (and it's a fairly crucial however) it's the TR4 that I'm interested in - the rallying with it was going to be only one of the things I did with it - but not the be all and end all. I am under no illusions of winning anything - but I do have a good mate lined up as a navigator and it will be a great excuse for us to get away and maybe have a beer or two as well.

Got to agree that I hate breaking down as well, except maybe in the middle of summer on a St Tropez beach, but other than that, I'd be looking to have a solid car that has had all of its bits checked, replaced, renewed or at leats working most of the time. (it will be over 40 years old after all, you have to expect somethings might not always work...)

I'm better with mechanicals than body bits (but that's not saying much)

anyway, I've really enjoyed hearing all of your views and stories - please carry on - it makes great reading and is very informative.

cheers

Peter

PS  -  Someone (Ade?) asked ages ago - I'm based near Edinburgh and I have no idea   :D  when my first event will be - but NESCRO runs some stuff pretty close to us.

Hi Peter,

Are you going to the international @ Malvern? It would be a good place to see lots of different spec TR4s and chat with several experts in the Trade and owners.

I wouldn't be put off the TR4 for rallying, even though there are some more sensible alternatives. Andy's TR always gets favourable comments and looks and sounds every inch the rally-car it is.

On another note..."Ecurie TRactors" may be reformed for the Targa and Shylock-Sheach (joke) has hinted at some team clothing. Watch this space.

cheers

adey

My message is not really on its place in this topic, but I tought it was nice to share this picture of Andy's car at the LeJog 2003. (I hope I did it right to include the picture)

Regards, Rudi

Ok so it did not work. :(

A little off topic but seeing all the relevant contributors are following this, here goes.

I am looking to 'cut my teeth as a navigator, prior to going down the route of obtaining (?) my own car. I have spent plenty on my 3a and it is too nice to risk ruining it!

I have been to visit Don Barrow and now need to actually navigate some drivers. I am likely to be navigating for Neil Revington on the Rally of the Tests later this year.

If anyone has a 'spare seat', please contact me either on the phone 01295 680598 or 07778 029693 or by email david.ferry@bdo.co.uk

Here's hoping for a positive response some time soon.

Regards

David

p.s did anyone else consider the tr4 on ebay for £1,500 last week. I was going to go to Leeds to see it but the listing ended early!

Here's the picture Rudi was trying to post I think ...

20031206033.jpg

This was BEFORE most of our troubles .... but I already seem to have a very heavy weight on top of my head!!  ???  :D

This was before we found out that tiny spots pointing in the wrong direction are distinctly uncool  :laugh:

Good to hear from you Peter.

It's funny how events repeat themselves.

I had a cold call yesterday from a chap who wanted to know about rallying a TR4. He is currently running as a Novice on HRCR events using a Vitesse. Guess some of you may have come across him.

He is not yet a Register member and had called the Register office for advice on suppliers to talk to. They suggested TR Enterprise and Simon/Steven at TRE suggested talking to Tony or myself.

Guess I answered the phone first so as he is in my area (Leicestershire) next week I suggested coming to have a look at the car. In view of this thread I did start by asking why he had chosen a TR4. I think the answer was the he just likes them which sounds quite good enough to me.

John

Good to hear from you Peter.

It's funny how events repeat themselves.

I had a cold call yesterday from a chap who wanted to know about rallying a TR4. He is currently running as a Novice on HRCR events using a Vitesse. Guess some of you may have come across him.

He is not yet a Register member and had called the Register office for advice on suppliers to talk to. They suggested TR Enterprise and Simon/Steven at TRE suggested talking to Tony or myself.

Guess I answered the phone first so as he is in my area (Leicestershire) next week I suggested coming to have a look at the car. In view of this thread I did start by asking why he had chosen a TR4. I think the answer was the he just likes them which sounds quite good enough to me.

John

Splendidly summised!

Hi

David is coming down to see me tonight so Ill scare him with my driving, new engine and dodgy right front brake ............ heh heh heh heh

Regards

Tony

oh all right then ...... well just go to the shops and back ......... heh heh

I think he may be keen, as are a couple of the new Trustees of 3 VC ....... so Ecurie TRactor may be growing