So I was trying to figure out why my gear selector isn't working (Gearbox already out of the car) and have either by some error put myself in this position or found a cause for the problem, at this point I have removed the 1st/2nd gear selector shaft. and loosened the forks for both reverse and 3rd/4th. But what appears to be the case is that the 3rd 4th shaft is "too far in gear" meaning it is past the point in which it would be furthest forward when normally in gear. I cannot get it out of gear or even take the shaft out the top cover. Because of how the interlock system works this means I cannot get the reverse shaft out either.

What my theory is is that when the gear shaft has gone in too far, the interlock plunger has fallen out of the 3rd/4th shaft and found itself halfway out of the shaft in a different part of the top cover. (Evidence for that is if i rotate the shaft ever so slightly it wants to move forwards.) So this means that the shaft cannot be pulled backwards because the plunger is dangling halfway out of the shaft, preventing it from moving back into the shaft.

Does anyone have any other theories? Or even had this happen/know someone who has and knows how to fix it?

Thanks for any help,

Sam

Edited by SamNewey28

If you have moved one of the synchro hubs too far "into gear" then the sprung balls in the hub will have popped out of their holes, & will be jamming the outer part of the hub, & preventing it from coming back. The balls are probably visible under the edge of the hub outer. You may be able to push them back into their holes by trying harder to restore the hub to the neutral position, or if not you will have to push each ball in individualy, & try to retain it there by any means you can. This is a common thing to happen when "playing with a gearbox" with the selector mechanism disconnected. Normally the shafts & fork would prevent the hub from moving too far.

Good luck

Bob.

Not sure I fully understand where you are up to. As I read it, the box was stuck in gear so you removed it and pulled the selector cover and found you can not remove the selector shaft. Is that correct? If so then the spacer on the shaft in front of the fork should have stopped it. That is what it is there for. Has the box just had work done?