Hi All

Just a thought!

I notice how many members start their topic with "I know there was a recent thread about this but I can't seem to find it......."

Quite often the best way to recover the thread is via Google search etc., which seems a bit longwinded

In these days of modern technology, there must be a more efficient way of storing and categorising previous threads on the Forum so that the "wheel doesn't get re invented again and again" eg a Technical Reference Library

I guess when we have a problem with our cars, we understandably want to get it solved asap and hence we start a new thread rather than try and delve into the bowels of the Forum archives

Must be some techi's out there who could come up with a solution and cost involved??

Any thoughts

Regards, Nick

Nick, Im an ex techie, anything is possible. The real issue is that of 'categorisation' and 'search argument' .

Ive had to do many searches and obviously done a few posts myself. Unfortunatley a post might start with a 'PI tuning issue' but cover petrol Injection, electrics, pump issues, pipework etc etc,then wonder off to something else and then return i.e. Also if you havent identified what the problem is it can take quite a while before relevant feedback come in. Even Google can struggle with 'context'.

If the posts were all entered by fixed forms with definitive headings then you'd be in a better position.Personally I've learnt a lot looking for one thing in historical posts and finding something else, not even necessarily related.

Be interesting to see what others think.

Google offers a fairly robust search option that can be directed to a specific website. It often finds things an in-built search function won't.

Try this search format in Google: [search terms] site:www.tr-register.co.uk/forums

Here's an example based on a recent discussion of ashtrays.

ashtray site:www.tr-register.co.uk/forums

Our forum's search function really isn't that bad, especially compared to some others. And our addition of tags a few years ago was intended to make searching even easier, although I gotta say the tags are a PITA for me and don't help find anything.

There are a lot of people on forums -- not ours, of course -- who wouldn't bother to search info even if it were organized for them. They've found it easier to start a new thread dedicated all to themselves rather than take advantage of existing info. Better searching won't fix this approach...

Nick: You'll be aware, from Wayne's editorial in the TR Action published this very day, that work on the new Website is proceeding apace.

However, it might not be a bad idea to send Wayne an email (press@tr-register.co.uk).

Ian Cornish

Like many of us I rely on the well known Standard Triumph Unabridged Almanac for Repairing Triumphs.

Very good Stan, I like it. :D :D

Cheers

Graeme

Like many of us I rely on the well known Standard Triumph Unabridged Almanac for Repairing Triumphs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stuart.

I've already suggested that this forum software can support an embedded Google search as it does on other sites. That was some months ago.

As Pete says, I can see the benefits of an embedded Google search. It's what I use on my own website and it works well.

There are a lot of people on forums -- not ours, of course -- who wouldn't bother to search info even if it were organized for them. They've found it easier to start a new thread dedicated all to themselves rather than take advantage of existing info. Better searching won't fix this approach...

However, there is a wider issue, as pointed out by Robin and Don, regarding whether the majority of people would actually use an improved search function to the best of their and its ability that often. Now, not being mechanically minded myself, from my perspective it can be quite difficult to sometimes even know what it is I should be searching for. If I have a vague idea of what information I'm after, then I will spend an hour or so searching and reading around the topic, and in this way I've learnt a great deal. Nevertheless, in my experience, I've never found exactly what I I've been searching for . . . that could be because I've not looked in the right places, or because I've not really understood what information I need, or because the search facility isn't capable. In my case, I think it's likely to be one of the first two possibilities.

Now, suspecting that the topics I'm interested in have more than likely been comprehensively covered on the forum at some point, I'm always a bit reticent about starting a topic or asking a question. I joined a forum (not car related) a couple of years back, where the first time I posted something I was attacked by two members of the forum (one a moderator) for asking something that had been covered elsewhere. I have to say, I was pretty surprised and disappointed by the attitude. Following that (and giving my response), I didn't continue with that forum.

What is so pleasing to me about this forum is that on the whole people can speak freely and have no fear of asking questions (even daft ones). I put it down to our shared passion for TRs and that on the whole people on this forum encourage anyone who is keen to learn. No doubt a lot of material in our posts is covered over and over again, and I can see that that might be irritating for the more knowledgeable and long-standing members to go over the basics again and again, but I never get that feeling from the vast majority of contributors. Long may it continue.

Darren