Timing Chain Tensioner

I fear the timing chain tensioner on my 4A has failed - not the best way to start the New Year!. I have yet to begin stripping down to gain access,and so do not know the condition of the timing chain, but I suspect that it would be prudent to renew this at the same time as the tensioner unless its stretch is still within the limits quoted in the w/s manual. I am assuming that the sprockets will be servicable.

I wondered whether anyone could advise me on which supplier I should go to get a replacement tensioner and chain that can be relied upon to last? I gather that tensioners in particular do not last long if sourced from the wrong supplier. I approach the task of replacement without enthusiasm and would hate to have to repeat it in the foreseeable future because of an inadequate replacement tensioner or chain.

Any further advice would be welcome.

Well i would definateley replace the chain while you have it all apart, I got my chain & tensioner from the TR shop, It all fitted just fine.

Cannot vouch for how long it will last, as the job was only done a few thousand miles ago.

Bob.

All the usual suppliers sell all the parts you require. Revingtion stuff may give you better peace of mind - at a price usually.

Give yourself plenty of room to work in - bonnet off, rad out, front grille off

Get the engine to TDC firing on #1 and then don;t move it. Everything should go back easily.

If the tensioner and chain are iffy then the sprockets could easily be in a similar condition. Replace if in doubt.

Roger

"Normal" chains pretty often are real scrap!

Made in China they do not only stretch within a short time

but also are significantly sharper when touched on the outside.

That is where the chain tensioner (what is an item that should not carry that name)

touches the chain and causes wear on the tensioner..

Go for the German IWIS what is by the way so short that the tensioner has not much to do

You can get it at recinggreen.de

Edited by TriumphV8

My German is very limited.Do they have a English website.

Regards Harry

Give them a call, ask for Robert send him greetings from me and

let him send that chain to you.

I think they are not too keen on doing so

and will not have the chain on the website

but hopefully will do.

I would expect about 40 for the chain and 20 for shipping.

Dear V8,

nice to find you not only at the www.tr-freun.de but also here!

:)

Thank you for your advice for the chain from or Robert and Philipp, witch I both know in person.

I might have known this.

Regards

Marco