Anyone have any experience of 'Bearmach Plc' u/j's? The company is iso9002 and they appear to supply a lot of bits for Landrovers etc.

I googood the part number and they come out ridiculously cheap a far cry from the 30-40 quid that some are asking for the 'uprated' gkn variety.

I must admit I pulled out mine and they were of unknown manufacture, but could not fault them at all.

Even they do two 'qualities' £3.02 standard and £8.31 for oem.... That's from the long South american river sight!!

Hi Dave,

you tend to get what you pay for. £3 is crazy. You couldn't make the packaging for that.

Moss and others do uprated versions - tend to be GKN, known quality manufacturer http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=12291

Shop around and see what is on offer - but don't go cheap as you do not want to be doing the same job next year.

If yours look OK and feel OK then put them back in.

Roger

Cheers Roger. No intention of a 3quid job! I don't intend of replacing again in the near future. I binned the ones currently fitted although under the x10 there was no visible wear. Knowing me I'll go for the most expensive option.

BTW those extended length zerks, can they be left in, do they foul the yokes. I was intending to leave in and fit plastic caps.

Turning into a more pricey job than first anticipated after finding that completely bodged rear hub. JFI I used ultrasonic crack detection on the key slot and it was fine but the whole thing has been compromised in my view.

I just wondered about the Bearmach co. Being ISO 9002 generally indicates quality!!

Hi Dave,

I really wouldn't rely on ISO anything coming to your aid. These tend to be paper trail audit tools. You can still do cheap and cheerful with ISO.

For our cars use a reliable trader and buy the better items listed.

New rear hubs are out there. I believe both Moss and TRShop do them.

I would have thought an MPI inspection of the hub shaft and keyway would have been easier and better but if you can play with US then go for it.

About ten years ago I gave a talk at an aerospace NDT symposium. Basically has modern technology actually advanced anything.

Well yes it has in many ways.

But I also asked how many people in the audience remembered and would prefer an old 70's (or possibly 60's) instrument.

More than half the audience were nodding in agreement (or sleep). The instrument was the Krautkammer USM2 - very basic but wonderful.

NDT gets everywhere - in April I was doing X-ray spectrometry to assess a steels composition.

Roger

Roger

I only practised with the ultrasonics the stub axle is scrap anyway, I wouldnt trust it as it was a slack fit with the hub, so either or both tapers are worn. Looks like a trip to Moss or the TRshop Monday!

Hi Daven. A company I used to work for 3 years ago supplied The Auto Teir 1's. With technical injection mouldings some under bonnet stuff, Reservoirs etc fairly complex stuff. We supplied JLR. Bearmach are an aftermarket supplier of parts, mainly Landrover as you point out. We did supply Bearmach the identical parts we supplied to Landrover, however where the tooling was Landrover owned we had to get there agreement and royalties were involved. I know they did pay for some tooling of there own for certain parts, Although we were accredited I don't ever recal them checking or asking for details. As others have pointed out buy cheap can mean buying twice.

Ian