Overdrive with "Niagara falls" option

Hello guys,

I have a problem with a seriously leaking Tr4' A type overdrive : the leak is from the solenoïd alloy bracket (item N°502566), where the actuating lever (502568) is connected to a shaft who goes through the overdrive.

There is an o'ring in the alloy bracket, around the shaft, but it don't seems to be enough, as the beast is as dry as Gran' Ma underwear.

So, please allow several questions :

- how can I identify a repro bracket, as the culprit may be a badly moulded repro alloy cover/bracket ?

- as someone made a cover/bracket with a hole for an oil seal instead of an o'ring ?

- who killed Kennedy ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Edited by Chris59

Hi Chris,

These brackets are prone to bowing under the pressure of the accumulator spring. They don't see hydraulic pressure but do communicate with the sump so must have a good gasket seal. You can pound it into submission once removed from the 'box; OK if you go a little past flat since the bolts will pull it back nice and tight.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Chris,

There's no real pressure at that part of the O/D to warrant anything more than the O ring, when I've rebuilt A types I just replace the seal and add a smear of oil when putting back together - I've never known one leak like you are describing, are you sure you haven't got a crack in the cover (which could happen sometimes when overloading accumlator spring) or the oil is tracking from elsewhere?

Hello guys,

I wish you all, and family, an happy new year !

Thanks for your replies and usefull tips.

The leak is from the o'ring, after dismantling I've checked several points :

- there is no wear groove into the shaft,

- no crack on the cover,

- the o'ring wasn't perfectly round (one part of the circumference was slimmer than the rest of the ring), so I guess the cover itself wasn't perfectly located on the overdrive body, hence the bad leak ?

@ Richard, who's this Red Baron, is he flying a Fokker triplane too, and did you had my message about the Austin Seven books I've found for you ?

@ AlanT, thanks for the link, it may be usefull.

@Trumpy3 (?), no, I haven't got this collar, do you know if it is supposed to be inside the cover, or between the cover and the lever ?

http://www.redbarongarage.com/center.htm

The problem with the O ring set up, is that it is on the outside, so the oil has already left the box befort the poor little ring trys to stop it.

The lip seal conversion works well on my car and on the OD that Vincent has in the TR2.

I will try and find pictures.

Didnt see your message?

Edited by Richard V

Richard, it was a text I left on your mobile.

I'll sent you a PM, I like the lip seal solution ;)