Half shaft splines....and a moan! ;-)

Seasons greetings everyone.

Is there a figure in the manuals at all for spline free play on the halfshafts? I've pulled a shaft out due to bearing play and whilst it's in bits I intend on cleaning the halfshaft splines for inspection then spraying and baking on Rocol 321r. On first inspection with a x10 magnifying glass they look in excellent condition and I can still make out machining marks.

As an aside I'd like to give the last person to work on it a slap, every nut and bolt had been strangled by some muppet.

Luckily the studs going into the t/a are all good, I pulled them too yesterday for inspection and re secured with loctite.

Even this sloppy bearing has not long been replaced..... Incorrectly!!!

Oh you managed to get yourself to the garage yesterday? What's the secret and well done.

In my experience if you have any play/ wear in splines it is best to replace, but some heavy grease or graphite grease does help to take out sudden movements and 'clonks' in spline assemblies , as obviously some free play is necessary due to the nature of it. If you are needing a magnifying glass to detect any wear, there probably isn't a lot going on there.

Edited by boxofbits

I've always operated on the basis that if I can't hear them under sudden acceleration/deceleration and when you hold one half there isn't any discernable free play in the other they are OK. Obviously check the ujs while you're there.

So.. One halfshaft in hand one press and one vice...clamped up hub yoke and lo and behold the drive flange had some rotary movement, the only thing stopping it from rotating 360 being the key. Took off the nut and just pulled off the flange. Turned my attention to the lock nuts even they were loose.

Measured the collapsible spacer and it measures......exactly the same as the new one.

This is a 'new' hub assy. as all the locknuts and tab washer etc were nice and shiny.

Further inspection shows the stub axle threads are compromised down near where the taper starts.

Looks like this lot is for the scrap bin!!!

Now if I could get hold of the muppet............

Dilemma now, buy a new one outright or get myself a used one and rebuild it myself?