A TR3 Brain Teaser. Help Needed!

Guest tr3triumph

Guest tr3triumph

Hi Fellow TR..er's

I have aproblem which should get the old grey matter working….I have a TR3 that is causing me some problems and I can not for the life of me understand why. So I call on those who might know more.

This is my situation. When braking and going down through the gears. The car revs drop off to almost stalling, only when braking.

I did wonder whether it was clutch drag but I don’t believe it is because it happens when coasting. And also when clutch depressed whilst in gear. It only happens when moving just pressing hard on the brakes causes the revs to drop to almost stalling. This does not happen when stationary. This is a non-servo assisted car so in my mind the brakes should not affect the engine in anyway

Apart from this the car runs well

Set Up.

1. The carbs are new and set correctly, maybe a little lean running at 5%

2. Timing is 6 BFTDC.

3. I have electronic ignition so it’s not the points.

4. Tick over is 950 and steady not hunting.

Advice would be much appreciated because I have run out of ideas.

Regards

Russell

Guest tr3triumph

Hi Nigel

It would appear that I was running a little too lean. Opened a few more flats and the problem went away. The only thing I can think is that under breaking the fuel moved forward in the bowl and away from the jet..hence starving her of fuel making her run even leaner. Once the car had leveled up then the level in the bowl/jet returned to a useable level.

All is now well.

Thanks

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

brakes binding a bit?

maybe the hoses are starting to block up.

Even braided hoses have a tendancy for the internal rubber to allow brake fluid through when braking but not when you lift off.

jack up the front, spin the wheels, see if they are free, apply the brakes, release and then spin the wheels again, see if they are binding.