Not the way I would do it!

Watched this and to me it highlights the wrong way to do the job!

Cost - one very expensive hood.

- write off the correct tool. breaking off the slot cutting section off the LTD tool. £60 tool versus £2 hole punch

- cut off the sealing strip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why!

- Hood fitted without sufficient tension leading edge will leak like a leaky thing. and bell out with wind resistance.

- Hood fiited out side to inside and end up with a bulge.

I think he must have fitted mine.

The punch didn't work because he was banging away on a shag pile carpet!............. and you know what that's like. ;)

I watched this video before fitting mine and agree with the comments about cutting off the flange and why buy an expensive tool and turn it into a cheap punch, but I don't get the bit about lack of tension at the front. It looks pretty tight to me.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

Look at the bit where guy points out the bulge in the centre. In my view always work from centre out alternately fitting each Tenax. Mark each with tension and you get an even fit. If you mark and make each hole in turn you can correct any slight mismatch by micrositing. It also allows correction of the twist that is causing the ripple across the top by tweaking to the opposite side.

Always mark your own centre line and don't rely it is correct.

I would also suggest that the stock measurements for webbing should be taken loosely. I would always attach the front first and then tension in turn and and finally fit the back rail fitting after the hood has settled for a few days.

You need extra tension in a warm client. In the UK slacking off tension will avoid pulling the frame off the glass as it shrinks in the cold climate.

Rgds

Rod.

• 2 weeks later...

Give the bloke some slack, at least he had a go himself.

Its still the season of good bloody will, you miserable set of sods, with apologies to all the expert hoodies out there, sorry Tom.

NONE of em were watertight, ever, unless JC did the fitment.

Well done that man.

I only fitted the webbing after fitting the hood, and then didn't bother fixing it to the front hoop as the hood stops itself on the frame. I havent used the car in the rain yet but will be amazed if its watertight across the screen at speed, as wind deflection will surely lift the hood.

Shame Triumph didn't copy BMC with the mod they did to the Frogeye, where later cars have a simple but very effective invereted slot in the screen rail, which the hood tucks into via a strip on steel inserted in the hood front seam.

Mike