That's it, same as the one that's missing from mine. You know of course that now you've got it out on the forum people will tell you what's wrong with it!! ( the engine bay that is)

So, why is your rocker cover on the wrong way round??

Steve

Steve - Apparently the whole engine is out of a 4 (thats why I want a 3 to go round it) and my carbs are bigger that yours - naaaa na na naaa na

ps, to say the rocker cover is "on" is a bit strong - it is more 'resting' there with just enough of a gap to let some 710 out every now and then (I must call Revingtunes)

(its a good job i tightened up that rearmost top manifold bolt before I took the pic !)

Steve - Apparently the whole engine is out of a 4 (thats why I want a 3 to go round it) and my carbs are bigger that yours - naaaa na na naaa na

Then there's really no excuse to dawdle along at the back when we're out on a run :lol:

'Sheepskin 70's man', I will have you know my carbs are hot, very hot, mainly due to flamethrowing exhaust, but assisted by absence of vent from cowl (need to cannibalise the wife's hoover now that the Eurocrats have banned it)

What is different about a(n) HS6 and / or Brass ?

I think we need a new section on the Forum.........

........ 'YOU SHOW ME YOUR'S AND I'LL SHOW YOU MINE '

I have HS6's in my '3, & my springs go downwards to a TR4A type metal plate.

I suspect that the way shown above may result in less wear in the spindle bushes, & the manifold seems to have fixings for the springs cast in, not seen this before ?

I'm sure either way will work.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

We seem to have lost the antifreeze topic?

For those still following the antifreeze thread, one additional bit of info may be of interest. The silicate additives in the antifreeze we oldtimers should be using has a limited life. At the end of its useful life they produce rubbish that precipitates out and jams up the block at the rear and the radiator. So the 'change after two years' advice is not just a marketing ploy. Draining and replacing after two years should help to prevent sludging of the cooling system.

Phil

We have our central heating boiler located outside and thus have to use an anti-freeze in the water just in case. The favoured brand is Fernox Alphi-11. The following posting on the VSCC website recently attracted my attention...

Quote..

I asked Fernox, Cookson Electronics, Forsyth Road, Sheerwater, Woking, Surrey GU21 5RZ to give me their comments, which follow:

" It is the properties of the inhibitor which produce the durable characteristics you refer to in respect of Fernox Alphi II.

As suppliers to the domestic heating market, we are obliged to use propylene glycol for the reasons of low toxicity you refer to in your article.

In the past, ethylene glycol was significantly cheaper than propylene glycol and so found favour for automotive applications.

However, the price differential is now much reduced and the safety benefits of propylene glycol should undoubtedly bring it into consideration for more widespread use.

Alphi 11 is used by a number of car enthusiasts as an antifreeze of choice and it is proven by the fact that it has been used for many years without any detrimental effects.

It is compatibility with metal and rubbers that is important and not the specific ingredient within the inhibitor/antifreeze blend.

While it is important to emphasise that the product was not specifically designed for automotive use, it does substantially surpass the requirements of BS6580 the standard for automotive antifreeze.

Whilst propylene glycol is less dangerous than ethylene glycol, contact with skin and paint should still be avoided, as should ingestion.

We recommend users to refer to the manufacturers product and safety data sheets for more specific information concerning product safety and disposal."

Now, Alphi-11 is far from cheap but plumber's merchants, Wickes etc do sometimes have it on offer . Fernox certainly know their stuff when it comes to corrosion inhibitors in water sytems that use several metals.

Food for thought!!

Interesting ! thank you

Peter

Very easy job just done this weekend. Opened heater valve & drained off old water & antifreeze through easy to open block tap & screw plug @ bottom of my alloy rad. Hardly any muck or dirty water but did a few flushes through before adding some Holts Speedflush & then repeated flushing through around a couple of gallons of rainwater until clear water flowed out of block & rad. after some brownish water came out, probably from the Speedflush. Filled up with de-ionised water & blue Comma Coldmaster anti-freeze @ a ratio to give protection to around -20 degrees. Job done.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Well Lancashire certainly knows a thing or two about rain - although no matter how frequently God washes it, the place always looks mucky ! :P

ps (other Gods are available)

Hi Austin,

since knocking down nearly all the mill towns, Lancashire has become a beautiful county.

My genes come from Preston and I can remember when it really was grubby. But now it is positively sparkling.

Roger

It's still "Norf of Watfod Gap" though.....!!

• 1 year later...

Very confusing!

Never paid much attention to anti-freeze since arriving in Portugal.

Today, I flushed the system and went to buy anti-freeze. Basically, I had a choice between products for open and closed systems. After much debate I chose the open one but now looking at what is written above regarding anti-freeze creating leaks, I wonder if I should know more about it.

I bought Redex but it does not say much else other than it is for both closed and open circuits and -5º C.

http://plural.pro/product/circuito-fechado-5l-rosa/

As I am going away this weekend, and the radiator will be taken out and serviced soon after I return the liquid will only be in the car while it is parked in tha garage for a month or so, and for a few Km (max 100) to take it to the workshop,

is it ok to put it in the car?

Edited by qim

It would have helped if there was some information about what is in that antifreeze. You don't want to use OAT antifreeze. OAT is often red in colour so personally I wouldn't use it. Non OAT such as Blucol is blue in colour and I see that Redex do a blue version but without a description of the contents it's impossible to recommend any of their products.

They further confuse the issue by stating that all their products are compatible with all makes. Nonsense.

So, sorry, I can't help with a recommendation.