The joys of rebuilding a tr6

Hi all, some of you may know I,m rebuilding my tr6 started last. November and still ongoing, so far so good , all chassis and body shot blasted/ primed, repaired painted, All back together. New fuel system (Bosch) practically new everything, budget gone out the window, start engine everthing fine, all running okay, ten minuets and engine cuts out. Pump stops working, re move pump and test on bench, jammed solid, reverse polarity, pump works, connect up correctly pump works?. Refit to car start engine runs fine, aft ten minuets Rev up engine starts to misfire and sounds like a tr6 diesel. Remove rocker cover no 3 inlet vale jammed open, managed to get collets of and remove spring and find valve is jammed in guide. (This is after head and valve guides have been replaced at much expense). Also have a fuel leak at the tank outlet so tank has to come out again. One consultation at least I.ve found the problems. What i,m getting at is don't let the problems get you down go indoors have a glass of red wine and start again tomorrow. Thank god I.m now retired. Oh buy the the way i,ve just treated myself to a MGRV8 but that's another story

Regards

Derek

Sounding good, shame about the valve, the unexpected. You're right about the wine, the problem is that TR's like to surprise us so better have a case of wine nearby. Just finished a rebuild, still have my hair, just. Theres no doubt that the DIY route is very rewarding (after the swearing that is, don't ask how I know).Good luck. When do you plan to be back on the road ?

Derek,

Shame to hear about the difficulties. Good luck on the rest of the work.

I'm really hoping to restart my restoration within the next year. Body done 24 years ago, then....nothing! Multiple moves into different storage places have stopped me ever doing it. But I will...eventually! I have some minor paint rectification to get done as result of the long-term storage then I need to start seeking some views as to the optimum order to do everything else!

Paul

If you don't start with a cool objective you can't finish. Get going on it, you know it will be worth it in the end. Great cars, great fun, get back on the road. I still smile every time I drive mine, ....

If you don't start with a cool objective you can't finish. Get going on it, you know it will be worth it in the end. Great cars, great fun, get back on the road. I still smile every time I drive mine, ....

Like Robin says, Smiles per gallon very high with a TR!

Mine came back on weds night after some paint/rust rectification.

So far have been to Winchester and back, changed the antifreeze, put in replica tax disk, taken every opportunity for a drive :-)

Steve

Hi All , Sunday morning my mate Nick turns up to do some upholstery ie rear wheel arches, what a a job, meantime I take of cylinder head off and remove all valves except no 3 which is jammed solid. Question, Having fitted a new aluminium rocker cover and on inspection the inside seems to be very rough on the casting and a lot of jagged edges at oil cap, maybe a bit off swarf from that caused the problem?. Anyhow back to machine shop Monday. Removed fuel tank and yes leak a union around the brazing. anyone know what the aluminium tanks are like, Remington £330, moss £325, tr shop £ £265 are they are made by the same firm? Or are the Remington ones the best.

Hi Paul all I can say is you must have some patience and God luck.

Derek

Shunty,

I fitted a tank from Andy Wiltshire on the advice of forum member. Nice bit of kit and not too expensive. You may have to wait for a while:

http://www.andywiltshire.com/web%20site%20tank%20page.htm

You have the advantage of ordering a larger capacity tank as I did. I am not connected just a very happy customer.

Peter

Edited by Peter Vernon