New remanufactured aluminium surrey backlight just like the original ones

The only way this goes from nice idea to actual parts is when somebody puts their hand in their pocket and makes it happen.

Asking for interest, asking for deposits and asking for ideas gives a nice warm feeling and nothing happens (perfectly appropriate for a Forum though)

A commercial supplier will do it eventually and sell the resulting items at a large profit to cover their investment and their risk. Absolutely correct.

Or the TR Register could do it with the New Spares Fund money and without any intermediary supplier involved if they had the willpower.

If the Register done this with enough balls in the past we would be making a handsome income from parts, and keeping all our cars on the road.

There are certainly companies here in the UK who could cast the sections.

Hadleigh castings here in Suffolk are certainly capable of casting these.

The major cost would be in producing the patterns and whether this would be economic for the relatively small number of units ultimately required I would think is doubtful.

Dave

The only way this goes from nice idea to actual parts is when somebody puts their hand in their pocket and makes it happen.

Asking for interest, asking for deposits and asking for ideas gives a nice warm feeling and nothing happens (perfectly appropriate for a Forum though)

A commercial supplier will do it eventually and sell the resulting items at a large profit to cover their investment and their risk. Absolutely correct.

Or the TR Register could do it with the New Spares Fund money and without any intermediary supplier involved if they had the willpower.

If the Register done this with enough balls in the past we would be making a handsome income from parts, and keeping all our cars on the road.

Well said Paul unfortunately this hasnt been happening and unless someone gets their finger out it never will.

Stuart.

I was thinking of getting a fibreglass backlight from Honeybourne and the rest of the bits from Rimmers or similar when they have a sale - are these backlights all in fact made by Honeybourne ?

And are there any issues with fitting the glass to these ? Have also heard that the grp frames can crack - anyone had this happen ?

But I could be put down as a possible for the ali assembly, I'm in no particular hurry as our 4A is still (since the end of March !) waiting to go to the paint shop so unlikely to be on the road until next spring.

Corvette C3s onwards and Ferraris also have targa tops but none, I believe, combine this with a removable top, do they ? And none predate the brilliant Triumph idea. In Classic & Sportscar this month there's a feature on the 2.5 PI saloon, saying what a super car it could have been if not let down by almost non-existent BL quality control.

Thanks,

Anthony

I have a fibre backlight with perspex window both from Honeybourne though not bought as a ready built one. In ready built form its fairly obvious what it is as the rear window is slightly smaller and with a different sealing rubber. I trimmed the aperture down and spent some time blocking and priming the frame to get rid of the usual ripples in fibre then bought an unfinished rear window from Honeybourne and templated it off a genuine rear screen then fitted it with a standard window rubber so it is indistinguishable from a genuine one unless you tap it.

I know Moss have fitted a glass window to a fibre frame but I dont think I would recommend it.

Stuart.

ChapelAmble_16-09-2014_zpsu9mt3pdw.jpg