Help please - indicators not working

The indicators have stopped working on my 1974 TR6 can you please give me some advice on how to troubleshoot this.

The flasher unit looks new - its round not oblong, but of course that doesn't mean it is working.

I also dont know if this is important but when I tried the indicators in the garage there was a click on the passenger side behind the dash and then nothing. It hasnt done this again turning the ignition switch on and off. The fuse is ok.

Could a blown bulb cause the problem?

I'm not an electrician but I know how to use an ammeter and follow basic instructions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

if it is anything like the 4A flasher then new ones can be awful.

Firstly have you got a wiring diagram http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr2506.pdf

Check to see that you have power going to the relay.

If you have and it is not clicking then it could be duff. if it is duff then consider fitting a square one - ebay do a selection.

Roger

Hi Roger, I've got a wiring diagram and I can see where the connections are.

For example I could see that if the fuse had gone some of the gauges wouldn't be working but they are - i've checked the fuses with the ammeter and they are all fine.

Should I just buy a new flasher unit - can I get one from a local shop like Halfords? I would love to get it going tomorrow before taking the car out on Sunday.

Cheers

Rob

Try cleaning the earth spade connectors on the rear light housings - a well known trouble spot. Poor earths reduce the current flow through the flasher unit and stop it working on front and rear indicators.

Peter

As all the indicators have failed then I would suspect the feed to the flasher unit, flasher unit, I went through two original ones and then fitted the electronic one from MOss with a good loud click. TR Shop would have one too

Both an excuse for s good run in the Sun tomorrow and with lots of hand signals.

A

Swap your old bimetal flasher unit for an electronic one. Your local independent car spares shop should have one. You are looking for 3 terminals and you'll need to add an earth wire.

See the wiring diagram here.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1799

Jerry

Thanks guys for the advice, a bit of work to do this morning or else its hand signals tomorrow!

I will check the earths and look to get a new flasher unit - the electronic one sounds good.

Can I test if it is the flasher unit by removing it and connecting the 2 wires? Would the indicators just come on without flashing when I move the indicator switch or would this do some damage?

Cheers Rob

Therefore Rob should be able to prove that everything else is OK by shorting the two connectors together and then operating the indicator stalk when the respective lamps on each side should illuminate, ignition on of course.

Hi Roger, Pete,

Yes it is a 2 pin unit. would be good to get confirmation it is ok to connect the 2 wires and test as suggested, just to be sure I am not going to damage something else.

Cheers,

Rob

All fixed.

Just changed the flasher and now working perfectly.

Just to get the job done I replaced with a like for like one - but I will look into the electronic version if this goes again as suggested by Jerry.

Warm(ish) arms tomorrow!

Cheers

Rob

The good thing about the electronic ones is the flash rate is constant, is doesn't slow down when other things are turned on...and they last.

Does a UK '74 TR6 have hazard flashers?

If so there is a second flasher unit fitted to operate them.

Do the hazards work? If not suspect a power feed problem after the fuse.

The same fuse also makes the fuel gauge and brake lights work.

Cheers

Peter W

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/29/2014 at 12:01 PM, RobinTR6 said:

The good thing about the electronic ones is the flash rate is constant, is doesn't slow down when other things are turned on...and they last.

The up and down flash rate is caused by the voltage varying. If you fit a 18ACR alternator the problem is cured and the PI pump also does not play a tune in line with the flasher unit.

Bruce.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, Phil douglas said:

Where can i get new flasher unit for 73 tr6 ? Live in croydon.

Welcome to the forum Phil.   There are plenty of places where you can get parts, depending on whether you want to do it mail order or collect it yourself.  Near to you,  Moss - Europe are in Feltham, the TR Shop is in Chiswick.

(If you join the TR Register you can access the members area,  including the trade directory.) 

The flasher relay is not special to TRs - it is a standard Lucas part used by many classic cars so you may find a local stockist even closer if you do a web search.  Yours should be a two-terminal type GFU2124 / GFU2125  I believe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-SFB115-12V-47W-Flasher-Unit-Mini-Scimitar-MG-B-Sprite-Midget-GFU2125-/202235825315

Funny seeing this post re-appear, seems such a long time ago now. I feel I have learnt so much since then, with the help from this forum.

I even fitted a hazard warning flasher (supplied with no instructions) very pleased with myself. :lol::lol:

I bought my indicator flasher from TRGB I think.

Cheers

Rob

On 6/23/2019 at 4:56 PM, Yves Ringoir said:

Where is the direction indicator relay located??

thanks

I just hope Yves Ringoir found it! :lol:

Gareth

• 3 months later...

Interesting topic. I have a 74. The turn signal indicators will light up (very bright) when I turn the stalk left or right, but the lights will not flash but stay on. I can simulate the TS cycling with the stalk (off on). I pulled the 2 pin TS relay/flasher and tested it connecting it to the battery and it is working/cycling. I then reinstalled it and the lights will again come back on but not flash. The hazard lights come with the switch but are dim and flash slowly. Should I replace the 3 pin hazard relay?  I haven't looked at the hazard switch yet.  

Regards, Charles 

Are you sure all indicator lights are working? What you describe could be caused by one or more bulbs being blown.

Oh, I don't know the impact of having a hazard flasher/switch as I don't have one. The odd behaviour there does make it sound like you have something dodgy in the hazard stuff though. Still, def check that all indicators are working.

J

Edited by JohnC