The Missing Link

When I was building up my 3 last year, I came across this bracket - I was sure it came from the car originaly, but I could not figure out where it belonged. I posted the question on this forum (can't find the post now) but no one could help.

I think the solution above is probably correct, as I have just offered it up to the chassis / steering box mount, & it is the correct shape & size to fit.

So next job is to fit it ! Good job I had not thrown it away.

Bob.

With all of the sidescreens that I have been involved in, I have never seen one of these brackets....my 3a has not got one......were they only fitted to earlier cars?

Strap now attached :) Only a year late !

Thank you Edwin for starting this thread, I had consigned this part to my "general metal parts that look useful) bin.

Bob.

With all of the sidescreens that I have been involved in, I have never seen one of these brackets....my 3a has not got one......were they only fitted to earlier cars?

I thought all the TR2's and TR3's got this strap but they are different because of the bumper iron changes between the different models. I think on the TR3A there is also a spacer on the bottom attachment point that goes between the strap and the bumper iron.

Stan

I thought all the TR2's and TR3's got this strap but they are different because of the bumper iron changes between the different models. I think on the TR3A there is also a spacer on the bottom attachment point that goes between the strap and the bumper iron.

Stan

That's right. Had to remove the bottom bolt and spacer from this to fit my bumper on my TR3A

The relevant part numbers applicable to Cars built after Commission number TS22014 are:-

118444 Bracket Stiffening

118445 Distance Tube

HB0937 Bolt for support Bracket, distance tube and stiffening bracket to chassis

HB0937 3/8" UNF Bolt with Hex head x 4 5/8" Long.

No information applicable to earlier cars in my S-T parts books.

I have a spare bracket & distance tube if anyone needs one.

Well you live and learn.......I wonder if it actually does anything. If it does why is there not one on the idler side?

I'm guessing that it is to help support the steering box "cradle" when applying lots of turning force to the steering wheel,

ie when parking, or cornering hard.

There must be some twisting force on the welds connecting the side cheeks to the chassis.

The steering idler would not have the same forces on it.

Bob.

There were two steering related components introduced as engineering changes, but I don't think drawings were updated.

From TS8637 a two piece clamp was added to the bottom of the long column (attaches to the spring turret). Sometime during TR2 production a stiffening strap was added between the steering box mount and chassis (using bumper iron bolt), but only the different shaped TR3A version was listed as a spart part.

Viv

Could have been the result of feedback from Ken Richardson and/or drivers in the rally cars, who would have mentioned concerns to him. These were the people who were using the cars really hard in arduous conditions.

Ian Cornish

• 4 years later...

Hi I know this is an old post, I am rebuilding a TR3 and have these brackets left over and found this old post very helpful.

I  have the 2 piece bracket that fits on the lower steering column but cant see how It fits to the turret,                  

Has anyone any photos or diagrams showing this?

Tony

What do you know, I also have one of those brackets in my "left over box".

16 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hi I know this is an old post, I am rebuilding a TR3 and have these brackets left over and found this old post very helpful.

I  have the 2 piece bracket that fits on the lower steering column but cant see how It fits to the turret,                  

Has anyone any photos or diagrams showing this?

Tony

Tony, these pictures are from my TR3A so may not be the same as your car. First the lower bracket.

20190214_095714-X3.jpg

And for completeness the upper support bracket which I believe does not exist on the TR2 with the one piece steering column.

20190214_095732-X3.jpg

Stan  you appear to have a welded on bracket to the turret which I don't think earlier cars have? and then a mounting bracket bolted to that.

Certainly mine at TS 23XXX does not have that additional turret bracket. I think the earlier cars possibly had a simpler/inferior arrangement until the chassis design was changed?

Has anyone got photos of the arrangement on earlier cars?

Iain

Early chassis didnt have the bracket, there were a number of changes as they went on to try and cure steering mechanism moving around on rough roads.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, iain said:

Stan  you appear to have a welded on bracket to the turret which I don't think earlier cars have? and then a mounting bracket bolted to that.

Certainly mine at TS 23XXX does not have that additional turret bracket. I think the earlier cars possibly had a simpler/inferior arrangement until the chassis design was changed?

Has anyone got photos of the arrangement on earlier cars?

Iain

That is correct Iain, that same bracket is present on the other side too in case the chassis was used for a RHD car I assume. Hopefully someone has similar pictures from an earlier car.

IMG_1520-X3.jpg

Stuart and Stan...appreciate your answers and photo. Neil Revington has tried to explain as well. Earlier cars got the bracket, steering box to bumper iron and a less robust turret mounting..........photo anyone?

Iain

On 11/28/2014 at 12:44 AM, Dick said:

I have two TR2s, both 1954 one short and one long door. The short door I have had for 43 years and the long door is only 3 owner so both are pretty original.

Neither have a strap as pictured from the steering box to the chassis.

John

I think that probably correct, the revision coming in later, as use showed that the steering box mounting bracket could twist and crack its welds.:mellow:

This is why I am interested to see what should be there to counter such an eventuality.The bumper iron to chassis bracket  is so small, that one could see them being removed by PO's and not replaced as they do look very insignificant. I am intrigued also to see that column bracket that bolts to the suspension turret, the one preceding Stan's chassis change version. Again this is there to stop the column twisting under very heavy load and cracking the steering box mountings.

I did a chassis up rebuild on my car in 1979......it could therefore be me that left these vital items off!:o

Iain