TR6 purchase

Help! Can anyone offer advice or just point me in the right direction please?

I am looking to purchase a TR6, not a project, I am not adverse to getting my hands dirty, but I want sometime I can drive and enjoy now, not in a few years time.

I know little about the model except that as a young man it was my dream car (if only I could have won the football pools) and the TR6 is the car I always promised myself.

What should I be looking out for, more importantly what should I be trying to avoid. Any help would be most welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by WmJA

There will be wiser people than me along I'm sure but I bought mine just this summer and looked at 5-6 before buying my car.

What surprised me was how differently they each drove. So for what it's worth my single piece of advice would be to drive as many as you can so you get a feel for the car. Interesting the worse car I drove belonged to a long standing TR Register member who had owned the car for many years. I guess just got used to how poorly it actually drove

happy hunting

I guess some info about price range, usage and expectation might be of help

Take a look on this site in the classified ads!

There are a number of 6's for sale, at a range of prices and at least you have the chance to discuss them here, on the forum.

It is highly likely, the cars are 'known' by someone here

Edited by wjgco

Good luck in your search for a TR6 !

As already mentioned, drive them and do use the checklist from the book

I entered the checklist items into an Excel spreadsheet so i could then complete a column for each car i viewed and have a reasonably 'objective' comparison.

can look out the spreadsheet if you'd like it?

Steve

PS, we like a name on here to call people, whats yours?

Get independent advice and a comprehensive review of any potential purchase. Get the car in the air and get someone knowledgable to inspect. Members car or not. Personally I wouldn't consider buying another unless it had had a new (CTM) chassis. Don't underestimate what a state these cars can get into which isn't obvious or visible. Or buy a dry-state car and convert to RHD.

Colin

I agree with Grumpy2 - look at, and drive, plenty before you buy - you will be amazed at the differences. I bought mine in September after looking on & off for 4 months. If you go the dealer route I can thoroughly recommend Clive Manvers - well worth a trip and excellent after-sales service.

Cheers

Steve

I brought mine from Manvers. I liked being left with the car up on ramps so I could have a good look under the car. No pressure and overall a great experience. I wanted a car to work on, I think most of Manvers customers let them do all the work.

Mine needed some work but I knew that when I brought her, a bit down on power and generally a nice honest used feel to it. That's what I wanted something that had not been messed with but needed a bit of TLC! I wanted something to work on. Changed the throttle linkage and got another 40 degrees of throttle opening and then adjusted the valve clearance (more vacuum) and suddenly she was like a different car. Still need to sort the bushes out and some other jobs but she has done nearly 2000 mile around Italy and France this year with no problems (well apart from going above 2000m and fouling the plugs).

BTW I had tried 4 or 5 different TR before buying mine, I have had a lot of triumph over the years so felt I knew what I was doing.

No regrets just love the car :)

regards

mike

I have to a gree with Mike above. i also bought my car from Clive Manvers. I did it all wrong and bought the first car I looked at, although Clive did have 4 to choose from at the time. I am very please with my car it was not cheap but you would not expect that buying from the trade. There are 2 others in our local group who have Manvers cars and all are happy with their cars and service.

Just a happy customer.

Another vote for Clive Manvers here!

I have found him to be straight and honest.

He is 60 miles from me, but, he is my preferred TR6 support location