Hi All,

The synchromesh on 5th gear on my TR7 Sprint has stopped working suddenly, so suddenly that I suspect the synchro ring has broken rather than worn out. The gearbox is working fine in other gears, just the nasty crunch when going for 5th at anything more than snail's pace.

I've been told it's possible to change the 5th gear synchro ring without removing the box from the car, and always one to avoid unnecessary work, this sounds much better than having to pull out the box. There's no sign that a total gearbox rebuild is needed.

Have any of the assembled experts here tried replacing the TR7's 5th gear synchro in situ? I imagine with the propshaft and exhaust removed, the gearbox crossmember can be removed and the back of the box lowered on a jack to remove the tailshaft casing. Anyone tried this and able to offer some tips? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Nigel

I'm guessing a nil response to this post means replacing 5th gear synchro in situ has never been tried. I will have a go and post again to let you know if it is possible.

Nigel