How to brush up the hornpush??

Hi,

I recently bought a near mint original steering wheel for our tr2.

It's still nice and shiny black, but the centre part, the hornpush has become a bit dull of appearance.

Is there a way to brush it up to it's former glory ?

The way I did mine 116 years ago was to use 1600 grit wet sanding paper (it was all apart and the chrome ring removed) to remove the brownish oxide on the surface.  Then I sprayed it black, let it dry and then sprayed it with a clear coat.  These were from aerosol spray cans.

It is still brilliant and shiny.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trebor/don3a_big.JPG

Hi Don,

thanx for the reply, and the addition, I almost send an email to Bill P. to change his buildrecords of the tr's ;)

So you really have to paint the centersection... was hoping on a kind of polish-way to get it shiny again..

...116 years ago...

Crikey, I was just examining my Birth Certificate... I was working on the knowledge that you had a TR3, which was produced after my TR2 and I was 11 years younger than my car... and it came out at more years than what I knew was old... if you get my logic!

phew... so if you did that 16 years ago, and say your car was a year old at the time, and say it was 2 years newer than mine, that puts me at under 20... so I'm happy!  (Darn, birth certifacate says 1965... that's blown that theory out of the water)