Someone remind me. I will have to remove the heater to trace a small leak from the matrix. How much of the dash is likely to have to come out to get access?

I searched previous posts and one suggested removing the gearbox too which seems a little excessive.

Jerry

Have you tried putting bars leak in your radiator and running heater until it plugs the weep. I had small leak and steam and on realising the scale of the job tried the above successful for now.

I'd take out the whole metal dash-panel with the instruments still in it.

While you are doing this strip down the wipers because its a pain to do with the dash in.

Gbox can stay, you will be relieved to know.

The hoses are a struggle to get on and overall this will be easiest I feel.

I'd take out the whole metal dash-panel with the instruments still in it.

While you are doing this strip down the wipers because its a pain to do with the dash in.

Gbox can stay, you will be relieved to know.

The hoses are a struggle to get on and overall this will be easiest I feel.

The dash panel can stay. Just remove the speedo so you can get your hand through the hole. Disconnect the heater controls, remove the vent hoses, disconect the two sqigley hoses from the bulk head leave them on the heater box Remove glove box. remove H frame undo the bolts and Bobs your Aunty.

And have a little bucket ready to catch the bit of water that comes out when you undo the hoses.

Have fun Dave B

I removed my heater a couple of years ago to fit the Revington upgrade kit and it was much more straightforward than I had feared.

I had to remove the wooden dash c/w clocks, and the glove box. It was then possible to unbolt the heater box and slide it sideways to the left into the space vacated by the glovebox, and withdraw it through the lefthand footwell. The hardest part was renewing the hoses under the dash.

In time honoured fashion, reassembly was the reverse of removal.

The Revington matrix and three-speed fan is well worth the effort. I now have a demister that actually demists, and in conjunction with the upgraded heater control valve, a heater that shuts on and off from the dashboard instead of having to open the bonnet!

Cheers,

Deryck

Thanks for all the nudges to my memory, I thought it was something like that.

snowric - I've had mixed results with Barrs or even egg white - fine for an emergency but I think I'll do it properly on this occasion.

AlanT - I will check the wiper wheel boxes and anything else under there at the same time.

Dave & Deryck - I will consider my matrix options once I've had a look at it. I did replace the motor with an upgraded one 15 years ago so that should be ok.

I didn't know RTR's was three speed - how does that work with a two speed switch or is a replacement part of the kit?

Jerry

It has a Heater? Can't say I've ever noticed that it does anything!

Edited by Denis

Jerry,

Apparently the revington kit can let you use existing switch but it rotates as opposed to pull out.

Alternative is to put in glove box and use the original as an on off.

havent fitted it, looked v expensive and my heater and valve (with barrs) works fine (ish) with the outside air vent opened..

Jerry

the Revington one is supplied by Clayton. But considerably cheaper. Comes complete with three speed switch and uprated valve if you want it.

Dave B

It is if you buy it direct from Clayton.

Stuart.